PDA

View Full Version : win 2000 with win XP over the top

ruup
09-09-2002, 06:14 PM
I want to load windows 2000 and then put windows XP over the top (up date version).I currently run it over the top of win 98 se,I am reluctant to install win 2000 until I know how to uninstall it, as I like to format on a regular basis.So could anyone please (in layman terms) tell me how to uninstall win 200 pro...
thanks
ruup

NathanTheKind
09-09-2002, 06:28 PM
May I ask why you want to run two operating Systems.
the only way that I know to uninstall the base operating system is to format the harddrive.

Hope this helps

:)

ruup
09-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Nathan,I only have a 'Update' version of XP,this requires me to use it with another version of windows.So I have to have another FULL version of a windows operating system to run XP.So before I install windows 2000 pro,I would like to know how to format this version of windows...Thanks again for the reply
ruup

Mike
09-09-2002, 09:07 PM
If you have Windows XP installed, then you are not running Windows 2000. There is no difference in installing Win XP over 98 or 2000 - you don't have either of them at the end of upgrading, you only have Win XP installed, therefore the procedure for formatting Win XP after installing over either other Windows versions will be exactly the same.

Mike.

Susan B
09-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Out of interest, is it not possible to reformat and then clean install Win XP, inserting the CD of your previous Windows for confirmation of an upgrade?

For example, on my old machine, when I clean install my Win 95 upgrade I have to insert a certain Win 3.x floppy for Win 95 to be satisfied that I owned a previous version. I didn't have to install Win 3.x first before Win 95.

Won't Win XP do that?

Mike
10-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Yes, Windows XP will do that. Insert the XP CD when you want to reinstall, it'll give you the option of formatting (so you don't have to do it yourself, the installation will do it for you) and during the install process XP will ask for your "qualifying product" CD to be put in the drive (this can be any windows version from 98 upwards). It won't make any difference whether its a 98 CD or a 2000 CD - XP will install exactly the same.

Good thinking Susan B! :D

Mike.

NathanTheKind
10-09-2002, 09:03 AM
You don't actually need to format first. When you come to installing Windows XP it gives you the option to format the harddrive first. This will give you a clean harddrive. as stated below, just install win XP and when asked to insert proof insert the Windows 2000 or 98 cd (what ever one it asks for)

Cheers

ruup
10-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses,I guess that what I need to know is how to format my hard drive with windows 2000 PRO on it.I have formatted it with 98 and ME, restarting in MS DOS mode etc,but how is this done with Windows 2000 PRO?...
looking forward to the answer
thanks
ruup

NathanTheKind
10-09-2002, 10:50 AM
DO you have a windows 98 boot up disk. If you have one of these insert this and boot up. then format the harddrive the same way you used to.

As I have said earlier, Windows XP gives the options of formatting when you are installing, so you may not need to format first as it will format it before you install if you want it to

NathanTheKind
10-09-2002, 10:58 AM
This Site might help (http://www.menary.co.uk/pchelp/win2k.htm)

tweak\'e
10-09-2002, 11:20 AM
what are you trying to achive here?

theres is no windows 2000 PRO. do you mean windows XP PRO?

if i remember rightly you can boot with the xp cd and chose format drive then install XP.

otherwise boot with a boot disk and format it.(be carfull not boot disks can format in ntfs

tweak\'e
10-09-2002, 11:21 AM
bah typo....(not all boot disks can format in ntfs)

Nuts8
10-09-2002, 11:50 AM
There is so Windows 2000 Professional

ruup
10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
So to format windows 2000,all I need do is format from a windows '98 or ME boot disc?
regards
ruup

NathanTheKind
10-09-2002, 01:21 PM
now that I think about it, the Dos won't beable to read the NTFS file system. You will have to use the format ability that is on the windows 2k CD or Windows XP cd. This will format the harddrive

Cheers

Graham Petrie
10-09-2002, 03:21 PM
All you need to do s insert your windows XP CD and restart your computer.

During the install process, you will be asked if you want to reformat.

Tell the setup program "yes"

It will then ask you for a qualifying product. Eject the windows XP CD, insert the 2000 Cd and click OK.

When it is finished, eject the 2000 CD and insert the XP CD.

Done!!

You don't have to install 2000 first, or format. Just insert the XP CD and do it all from there - Make sure that you choose the new install option when installign XP, not upgrade (I know you have an update disc, but in this case it wants to know whether to transfer your settings from the currently installed windows version or not, not whther you have an update verison or not - so select clean install).

G P

ruup
11-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded...I think I now, Know what to do...thanks again.
cheers.
ruup