PDA

View Full Version : How to defrag a dual boot?

sandy beach
09-09-2002, 12:00 AM
Hi,

I'm using a dual boot PC with WinXP Pro and 2000 installed.

Problem (not really) but curious is which Operating System should I use to defrag my computer.?

You see, the reason I have to ask, is that since XP is an updated version of 2000, I decided to use the disk defragmentator tool to defrag both XP and 2000. When I load 2000, and vice versa use the Defragmentator tool there,to do the same thing, I find that the files that were defraged in XP, seem to show that it isn't this time round. After defragmenting once again, I load XP to analysis to see the report, it shows the same thing, but less of what 2000 can find.

Why is this?

Not only because I also thought that it might be a 2000 or XP related issue, I did the same thing; this time using Norton Utilities 2002. When using Speed Disk, in 2000, it reports more files that XP can't find.

Any advice

Sandy Beach

NathanTheKind
09-09-2002, 10:12 AM
I'm not quite sure what it is you are wanting. but if your harddrive is partitioned. the way that I would defrag is simple. Defrag XP and everything that you use in XP. then go into 2K and defrag 2k and that in there. as a suggestion when using 2 OSs, keep the files etc together. ie xp files together, with xp, and 2k files with 2k. do not put xp files and progs with 2k files and progs

Cheers

:)

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2002, 10:44 AM
I would do it the other way around, Defrag your Win2K files in XP, then switch to Win2000 and Defrag your XP Files, that way you know that none of them are in use, but if you were defragging your XP files in XP, then there will be files in use there!

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2002, 10:46 AM
BTW, That is a v/ good point about keeping partitions files together and not over multiple partitions!

gerardkean
09-09-2002, 11:14 AM
I've been through this on my machine.

The thing is, each system has it's own system files that it will optimize when it defrags and the other system will nolonger be optimised.
You either have to use partitions or choose which system to have optimised.

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2002, 02:22 PM
True, It'll likely only be minor if you do as mentioned previously, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do it weekly and although it's not dual boot, if you do the same, from both partitions, don't worry about it.

Chilling_Silence

sandy beach
09-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi Guys & Girls,

Thanks for the pointers!

Overall, why don't I just stick to one disk defragmenter, rather than having to use the one on its own operating system? Sure using the defrag tool in 2000 does a better job than what XP can do?

Ritzz
10-09-2002, 01:14 AM
You can try Diskeeper (http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp)

I have found that it does a better defrag than the built in ones from WinXP/2000.

You can try the trial version if you want and a little patch from the www can make it permanent :)