PDA

View Full Version : Connecting from Canada

fostergb
08-09-2002, 12:25 AM
I have acquired a laptop PC and require advice as to how to connect to internet while travelling in Canada this month. My laptop has a 56K PCMIA modem. It connects to standard telephone plugs. My question is:
To connect in Canada will I need adapters to connect to their telephone system and will I need a Canadian dialup ISP? I will be travelling across the continent so I will need to be able to connect from various locations.

Mike
08-09-2002, 12:28 AM
Not sure about the plugs, but contact your ISP as they may have roaming available in Canada for a small fee so that you can access your current ISP as you would in NZ.

Mike.

pporritt
08-09-2002, 05:05 AM
Phone plugs in Canada are the same as in the US, and look like the one shown at Phone Plug (http://www.dslreports.com/security/plug.gif)
You should be able to buy an adapter for your modem without any trouble.

It might be economical to create an AOL account because there are local access phone numbers in most Canadian cities. If your current ISP uses a POP3 server, you will be able to access it (via AOL) without paying long-distance phone charges.

pporritt
08-09-2002, 05:15 AM
By the way, the link that I included in the previous message actually shows a network plug. The phone plug is almost identical, but slightly smaller.

Jim B
08-09-2002, 06:47 AM
If you are just wanting to get your email than connecting to your NZ ISP could be quite economic as International toll rates are generally quite cheap.
You can't dial 0867 numbers from outside NZ so you would need to use the ISP direct dial number.

The other option would be to leave the laptop at home and access your email with your ISP Web Mail from any computer connected to the internet.
They are readily available these days at airports, hotels, cybercafes etc and it is sometimes a lot easier than the other options.
You can write up new mail, reply as well as receive all your mail with Web Mail and you don't have the extra baggage to carry around.

godfather
08-09-2002, 10:54 AM
I use Ipass software when I am global roaming. My ISP is xtra, and the software is available from their site.

It gives free local dialling from many places (well, not exactly free, Xtra charge $8.50 per hour for Australia but the call is free at the other end).

If you use Xtra, they will not give out the direct access numbers, so theoretically you cant use the 08 from overseas. There is a way around that in some circumstances however.