PDA

View Full Version : opening page res//window/system/SHDOCLC.DLL/dn serror.htm error

neway
07-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Having lots of trouble getting on the internet, having to restart it every morning about 6 times before it comes right, really annoying. when I use Internet Explorer for the first time each morning it comes up in the status bar ' opening page res//window/system/SHDOCLC.dn serror.htm' and then the can't display page comes up. I tried Opera and you get the 'Could not locate remote server' error. I tried Netscape 7.0 and you get , 'Your address could not be found please check the name and try again.'

Can anyone help me please before i throw away the computer.

Wayne

John Grieve
07-09-2002, 09:55 AM
There is some confusion over this problem out there. Apparently at one stage MS acknowledged this was a possible bug in IE5 and IE5.5 and I expect they have attempted to fix it in IE6.

The most likely thing in my opinion is corruption of your Winsock by some scum spyware (Kazaa has been identified here).

Anyhow there are a variety of things to try in the following links to fix this some of which have been successful. Be very careful in your registry.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1010064155
http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/23363.html

John Grieve
07-09-2002, 09:56 AM
That second link should be

http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/23363.html

tweak\'e
07-09-2002, 10:46 AM
i would be inclined to agree with john. try giving adaware a run through (needs to be latest ver) and check your host file.

it should have only

127.0.0.1 localhost

unless you are useing it to block websites.

do you have any adblocking programs? firewalls?

neway
08-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Thanks, How do you check the Host file?

John Grieve
08-09-2002, 10:07 AM
You should be able to right click on the hosts file then "open with" notepad.

neway
08-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Sorry, where do I find the host file?

TGhost
08-09-2002, 01:38 PM
C:\Windows is where the hosts file is. Or whatever it's called on your computer.

neway
08-09-2002, 01:51 PM
Thankyou, that checks out ok, I have run the latest adware and it has taken out KazaA. we will see if it happens again. I run a program called 'no ads' and 'Blackice.' Thanks for your time, lets see what happens.

Gill
08-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Well I'm grateful to stumble across this discussion last night as I was helping a friend with the very same problem! I had not understood much about Kazaa and spyware but after checking out John's links started to get the idea.
Today it was simply a matter of removing programs such as Kazaa, B3d Projector, SaveNow, Winamp & New.dot.
Had to also manually delete the folders from C:\Programs folder then reboot and everything was back to normal with Internet Surfing and Emails etc.
A very pleased friend and a satisfactory outcome, so thanks for all the help
Gill

neway
09-09-2002, 10:24 AM
HI there, I have done everything but still no luck, It took three hours to get on this morning. So I rang up my internet service provider, as it is free to ring with my one. And he told me my problem before I even asked him. He told me they were having trouble with getting 'TRANSFER DATA' from Auckland. My ISP is E3. If it keeps up they won't be for long. He rang me to tell me it was up and running, and of course it went find. Last night I made some changes and on one of the changes if went find, but this morning it was shocking, but really it had nothing to do with the changes, it just that data transfer changes. So I suggest to everyone out there who is having trouble like me, to get on to their ISP about it, or change their ISP if it persists. I'm going to try my Clear ISP next time it happens, if it works, I'm going to say goodbye to E3. I would love to hear from ones that have been having trouble, what ISP you all have ?

Thanks everyone

tweak\'e
09-09-2002, 10:48 AM
>Kazaa, B3d Projector, SaveNow, Winamp & New.dot.

winamp.....?:| :( :(

John Grieve
09-09-2002, 11:59 AM
I have to admit tweak'e I have always assumed Winamp would have some sort of nasty running in the background but I have never used it to know.

tweak\'e
09-09-2002, 12:26 PM
winamp is one of the most popular free music programs around