PDA

View Full Version : Tables in HTML

Gorela
07-09-2002, 12:28 AM
I have the following HTML code to create a couple of side by side cells and was hoping someone could tell me where I have gone wrong. In IE 5+, Mozilla and Konqueror this gives me a grey cell on the left hand side and a larger white cell on the right. For some reason the grey cell doesn't appear in Netscape.

Clues for the clueless appreciated.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="700">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#888888" align="left" width="13%" height="700">
</td>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" align="left" width="87%" height="700">
</td>
</tr>
</table>

SoniKalien
07-09-2002, 12:42 AM
Netscape has a few bugs...

If a small grey cell and large white cell is what you're after, then congrats. The only thing I would do is remove the height from the <td> sections since you have already specified them in the <table> tag.

Sam H
07-09-2002, 08:13 AM
What version of netscape is it not displaying properly?

As I don't have netscape to test the code out on, I posted your message on an HTML board to see what the Web design experts had to say. You can view it here

http://www.htmlhelp.com/bbs/wdgbbs.cgi?action=display;num=80170

antmannz
07-09-2002, 10:50 AM
Netscape traditionally doesn't render a table cell with nothing in it.

Alter your code to this:
<td bgcolor="#888888" align="left" width="13%" height="700"></td>

antmannz
07-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Ah ... bugger; that space is supposed to be a non-breaking space character, the forum won't let me display it as code so .....

where you see "Insert non-breaking space here" should have:
& n b s p ;
with no spaces in it, but I'm sure you know that anyway :)

<td bgcolor="#888888" align="left" width="13%" height="700">"Insert non-breaking space here"</td>

Gorela
07-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Thanks Soni, Antzman and Sam for the help. I'll make the mods and see what transpires.

I have also checked your link John and there is a mention of non standard table height and nothing wrong in 4.7. Rather strange as I was checking in Netscape Communicator 4.79 and I found it to be harder with loose code than the other three browsers.

Thanks again!