PDA

View Full Version : Ghosting an XP OS HDD to new drive

Mike Gibson
06-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Assistance please. Can a HDD with XP OS be ghosted to a new HDD successfully? I have encountered an error message "the system has been shut down to protect!!!" and the amusing Microsoft statement.. Use Chkdisk /f to find errors... and this on an XP system.

Thanks, Mike

Graham Petrie
06-09-2002, 10:47 PM
And on a re;ated note, if I ghost my HD, and it dies, do I have to create a partition the same size on my new drive for it to be restored, or can I restore it to a larger partition/drive??

G P

tweak\'e
06-09-2002, 10:59 PM
if you are ghosting useing floppy disks the os won't be running so i can't see any problems.

no you don't have to have the same size partitions to ghost to. just be aware the drive can't be smaller than the size of the data you are putting on it.

Marty2001
06-09-2002, 11:56 PM
I have had problems with ghost pe and ghost 6.5
Ghost 7.5 works well for XP and partition size is irrelevant as stated

Billy T
07-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Hi Mike

It is not clear whether you are using Norton Ghost (and if so, what version) or you are using the term ghosting generically to describe another disk cloning system.

As an earier post mentioned, true (Norton) ghosting is initiated from a boot disk using DOS, ar which point cetain constraints apply for Win2K or XP in that it is more complex to clone an NTFS partition as DOS can't see it. I haven't looked into this for some time but you can do a sectro by sector clone I think but the source and destination partitions must be of identical size.

Post more detailed info and a solution will be found.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) (imagine a ghost emoticon here)