PDA

View Full Version : PCI or ISA modems?-New System help!

craigrob
05-09-2002, 09:58 AM
I have just read a post on this forum about some guy being concerned that his new PC with a new PCI modem will not be fax capable like his old ISA modem!
I have an old PC (3 yrs) and my modem is PCI and sends and receives faxes perfectly.
Now I am about to upgrade to a faster system and was wondering what this guy is worried about and should I be as well?
Here is the post that I read:

http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=24324&message=79557#79557

Can anyone give me some suggestions about a new motherboard and compatible cpu. I have read so many reviews I can't make a decision. I am going to be mainly using the machine for games and multi media applications and would like to purchase something not 'top end' but sorta close to it as best value for money is rather important at this stage.I have Geforce 2 64MB and will consider upgrading this in the future.
I am confused about some reviews I have read in the 'PC World" Top 10 dream machines. Such as an Athlon xp2000+ obtaining a higher benchmark than a P4-2530. Now I know that FBS and L2 cache are important factors and the athlon has the lowest spec but gets the highest score, (I am confused).

godfather
05-09-2002, 10:18 AM
As I understand it, the PCI modems will handle faxes OK but if you have Faxability (separate number on the same line, than "rings" differently so you know its a fax) then they may not recognise the fax ring (and will answer all calls).

If its a separate fax line its OK of course, as it doesnt have to discriminate...

craigrob
05-09-2002, 10:24 AM
thanks, i understand now!