PDA

View Full Version : Re DeFragging

Peter H
04-09-2002, 06:14 PM
A lot of people appear to have trouble doing this. Some tips. First search & Down load a Program called "Crackup" I think it is on ZDnet. This will tell you if you need to in the first place. Secondly, if using W95 W98 install the Winme version of defrag. Have an idea it was suggested in this forum some time back. My tuppence worth.
Bye

Terry Porritt
04-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Yes you're right Peter about the Win ME defrag program. Also what most people who have problems seem to forget or dont realise is that defragging should only be done after all the junk has been deleted, and file integrity checked with Scandisk. It should be the last operation after all other housekeeping exercises, including registry cleaning, spyware removal, virus scanning, etc etc, have been done.

Peter H
04-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Also use "HDValet" again do a search, from memory also ZDnet - gets rid of junk and also Regcleaner before Defraging. Speeds it all up.
Bye

Mzee
05-09-2002, 12:00 AM
I use Norton Utes for defragging both XP and ME with no trouble.

Vince
05-09-2002, 04:01 AM
Norton Utilities has the best defrag utility, but "Win95-MEDefrag" is free and faster than the Win95/98 version, do a Google search for that name; or if you find that defrag is restarting a lot, then the free PowerDefrag is helpful as it automatically restarts your computer in Safe Mode defrags there with no interference from other programs then restarts Windows again. It is available at "PowerDefrag.com"

Terry Porritt
05-09-2002, 09:06 AM
PowerDefrag is OK, it doesnt actually restart the comp in safe mode, it keeps the screen resolution you have set and just loads the screen background and any startup wav file, but nothing else, no other stuff, no icons, no other programs etc.

However, if you only have the current 'lite' version and not the full version, or an particular earlier version, it wont scandisk, and its no use defragging corruptions around the hard drive, Thats why it MUST be emphasised to carry out all the other housekeeping first, including a periodic surface scan.