PDA

View Full Version : HP printer problems

ron21
03-09-2002, 11:32 PM
I am desperatley trying to get my printer to work. For some reason my computer will not recognise my printer. It is setup using a USB connection but the Device Manager says its an 'unknown device'. Even when I try to install the setup disk that came with the printer it tells me that it can't find my printer. The ironic thing is that I have had it working in the past but at some unknown time my computer decided that it wasn't going to recognise it.

One thing I do remember is that when I originally installed the printer disk I had a choice of USB "thingys" to choose from, USB and USB 2, but now it only lets me choose USB. The device manager also said that the device is working properly, although its an 'unknown device'.
The printers is an HP deskjet 656c thats only about 6 months old and I'm running XP Pro. I have also d/loaded the latest drivers from HP.com but I keep getting the same response.

Any comments much appreciated.
Thanks

Babe Ruth
03-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Ron21,

The following url may be of use. It is important to install usb printers (and the s/w) in the correct order. See HP USB DJprinters (http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=hpdeskjet643393&LC=printers&Tfile=bpd09187) for a reasonable guide.

Babe.

ron21
04-09-2002, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately Babe my printers still not working. I did manage to install the HP drivers however. What I did was when asked if my printer was connected (because it wasn't able to locate it) I unplugged the cable from the printer and reconnected it, which allowed me to choose from USB or USB 001.
This was good as it hadn't done that previously (except when the printer was working), BUT when it came to printing a document however, it told me that there was an error printing the document and left it at that, thank you very much.

So if anyone else has any suggestions please forward them, as I am very close to throwing the bl*** thing in my daughters toy box as I figure she would probably get more use out it!!!
Anyway thanks for your suggestion Babe...it saved the bl***y thing from getting the boot, albeit for a few more days anyway!

Graham L
04-09-2002, 01:39 PM
About all I can suggest is: walk away. Just turn the machine off and go and sit in the sun with a cuppa. Relax. :-) Then go back after a while and check through the info you got from that HP link, and have a non-stressed go at it. It might even work immediately you boot up. ;-)

Pounding away at something often just gets you going in circles. :_|

antmannz
04-09-2002, 04:46 PM
I had the same problem with a scanner a little while ago. Dunno if this will work for you, but it's worth a shot:

Unplug the printer.
Delete the printer from your Printers window.
Right-click My Computer, choose Properties > Device Manager tab. Make sure the printer doesn't appear there, if so, remove it.
Cross your fingers and plug the printer back in. Hopefully it should be redetected.