PDA

View Full Version : enlarging photo's

hammer
03-09-2002, 11:40 AM
I have a tiny photo of greatgrans...want to enlarge it..is ther any easy way to do it and keep it clear.... have ulead express 3 and photo impact7

dipstick01
03-09-2002, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure what those 2 programs are capable of doing but possibly they can.

I use Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) which is a free photo editing program that also has the option of increasing the DPI or basically how sharp or fuzzy the piccie is and also resizing it to what you want.

Grab the program and have a play as you can also save the image in basically whatever format you wish not like some &*&^^% photo editing programs that only allow their format on altered pictures.

tweak\'e
03-09-2002, 11:57 AM
pcworld maginzine had an article about a program that could do that.

don't expect miracles however. the crap in, crap out rule applies.

veterannz
03-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Try downloding paint shop from JASC. I think it's free. Do all alterations in .Tif or .bmp then change to .jpg when you are finished if you want to compress.
Irfanview is a nice quick viewer but is pretty resticter . Adobe photoshop is one of the better ones, but is expensive and hard on computer resources

cheqmaster
03-09-2002, 12:49 PM
I swear by Ulead products, they are great.
In Photompact 7 open the picture, then go to Format/Image Size
You should be able to change the size from here.

The only thing though is not to expect a miracle, if the image is small, chances are the finished product will not be great.

Terry Porritt
03-09-2002, 01:42 PM
I've done the same with one or two old family sepia 'cameo' photos, Scan at a high resolution 300, or 600 dpi, and then use one of the photo editors to resize. The limit is going to be the original graininess of the photo. You can also play around with sharpness editing.

Ive used Lview Pro, and Paintshop Pro.

Really a question of experimenting until you get what you want.

Wrecker Jim
03-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Don't bother trying to enlarge it by software - you need to do this at the time of scanning the photo. Use a scanning resolution that results in the size picture you want (this will vary depending on whether you are displaying on the monitor or printing on paper).
Results (quality wise) will vary according to the age and quality of the scanner, many of these have a fairly low optical resolution (the one that counts) and get the higher resolutions by software means. Using software to enlarge the photo only results in pixelation (the picture starts looking like it is made up of squares rather than dots) a fact that is often overlooked in movies when they use a computer to enlarge/ enhance photos to reveal the bad guy.

Graham L
03-09-2002, 03:37 PM
That's a real option. Photography is a well known technology, and the quality is much better. I can tell which newspaper photographs have been don with digital cameras. Some shops are set up to copy/enlarge old pictures. They have had a lot of practice. Their charges shouldn't be exorbitant. That will give you a decent sized picture to do computer things to if you want.