PDA

View Full Version : Missing CD drive

mgoody
01-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Hi
I have a Gateway P3-500 with DVD-ROM and running Win98SE. Recently I installed an Iomega external CD-RW drive. Unfortunately (and stupidly) I forgot about the corect installation instructions and used the Add/Remove hardware function instead, when I realised my mistake I uninstalled the Iomega. Trouble is I'm no longer able to play CDs because my 'D' drive has disappeared. I've tried various things in Control Panel to no avail, I've also looked at BIOS Setup - but been too scared to make any changes in case I really stuff things up! However I suspect the answer to my problem may lie here, the current settings are as follows:
Secondary IDE Master - [Toshiba DVD-ROM etc.]
Type - Auto
Multi Sector Transfers - Disabled
LBA Mode control - Disabled

I hope this makes sense and look forward to any suggestions.
Many thanks
Mike G

Greg S
01-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Hi - there's several things you could do to find it - sounds like you can "see" it in Device Manager, but not Explorer?

Try.. Right click My Computer | Click Properties | Maximise Hard Disk Controllers | Highlight Master Ide Controller | Click Properties | Click Settings. If you have a Dual Ide Channel Settings Scroll Box, check what's displayed there - you should probably have Default or Both Ide Channels enabled, or at least only Primary - you could try to change it to one or other of these and see what happens (but not to only Secondary).

mgoody
01-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Hi Greg
Thanks for your quick response, i tried your suggestions but still no cure. I noticed that under 'Hard disk controllers' i also have Primary and Secondary Ultra ATA controllers - both of which are accompanied by exclamation marks & code 10 error messages advising that device is not present or working correctly etc., I tried upgrading rivers - without success. I also found another similar message attached to 'AdaptecAHA-894 x/AIC 1394 controller' This is subsiduary of '1394 Bus controller' Any clues anyone????????

Graham L
01-09-2002, 04:23 PM
The LBA, etc information in your first posting is from the BIOS, I assume. Those settings should be OK ... (I think that the BIOS will have actually got them from the drive's controller).

Your Ultra ATA things ... probably you haven't got such things, so they are detected as not being present. The 1394 is "Firewire", which you probably haven't got either.

Try "adding hardware", and tell it to look for a CD.

mgoody
01-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks, tried that - no go. One annoying feature of all this is when it asks for Win98 CD to be inserted, which of course is impossible!