PDA

View Full Version : Defrag drama

Greg S
01-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Ok, I checked the faq's and found nothing new there - so here's a new poser: Defrag on my D (2nd hard drive) stops at 10% and doesn't progress, nor even re-start, while drive activity continues.

Both drives are 4 gigs, and 75% full, but there's still a gig of free space for swap file. Win98 1st ed is situated on C. 256 Megs ram. Defrag worked perfectly on C. Does the Windows defragger perhaps have to be situated on the drive it's working on? D has got a new virtual drive situated on it (not a partition per se - it's part of scramdisk.) - could this be a prob?

Thks.

alex
01-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Scramdisk should not make a difference, if it is open then it is available for defragging under what ever drive letter is asigned to it, if you dismounted the drive and exited it, then windows cannot see it anyway.
If your drive is 75% full and it has been a wee while since you defragged, it might take a while to get past 10%. I have notice this before on some computers, gets to 10% and then it seems to take forever to go any further. you don't mention how long it has been at 10% before you said enough is enough, maybe try a longer period and see if it picks up. If you have exited Scramdisk without dismounting first this could have caused a problem but you should have got a error message from the degragger at the beginning saying another drive was still in use.

Other thing to try is reboot into safe mode and try defragging D drive from there.

parry
01-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Hi Greg, I have seen a few posts like this and I believe patience is the key - it will tick over 10% eventually. Make sure uneeded programs are exited incl virus scanners and disable screensaver then perhaps leave it running overnight.

Defrag will stop @ 10% then restart again if it finds a problem (ie missing file links etc) in which case run scandisk before doing defrag to correct errors.

If still a problem then repost.

Greg S
01-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Yeah done all the usual checks, safe mode etc etc. I've waited a bit over an hour with it stuck on the 10, but will give it more. This second disk has never been defragged in the year I've had it - anyway we'll see.

Thanks for the comments

Alan Carpenter
01-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Greg

As Alex says, defraggging in Safe mode is a Real Good Thing.

As Parry says, patience is a virtue.

Try this:

1. Search your C:\ drive for Scandisk.ini and read it. READ IT.
2. Set it up for a worst-case problem (including Surface Scan) and "Don't ask me, just do it."
3. Go to bed.

Next day:

1. Start in safe mode.
2. defrag

The day after:
Smile.

Cheers,
Alan

alex
01-09-2002, 02:21 PM
""This second disk has never been defragged in the year I've had it""

If it has been that long then it will take a while, boot to safe mode and go walk abouts or go to bed, it will likely grind away for a while on 10% while it sorts all the blocks or what ever out and then it will suddenly start to make progress.

I have seen computers that have never been defragged in there life and they can take half a day or longer the grind through a defrag.

wgeorgec
03-09-2002, 10:19 AM
go to www.powerdefrag.com for their utility, it will do the defrag for you in no time.

kiwibeat
04-09-2002, 03:37 PM
best prog out there is diskeeper for defrags does my one in about 3 mins initially took about 25 mins when in a real mess

Baldy
04-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Go with Powerdefrag........... Diskeeper is only free trial

Kiwitas
04-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Greg S, As has been mentioned in earlier posts,Safe-Mode and
be patient,as I found out a few months ago.

Just as a matter of interest,"Disc-Keeper" a very good defrag app
is now available in a Lite version for free,but is manual only!
Availablehere (http://www.execsoft.com/)
It doesn't seem to worry when it is run or what else is running
and if done regularly only takes a matter of minutes!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)