PDA

View Full Version : computer brands

michael y
30-08-2002, 04:49 PM
which computer brand would u say is the best brand for computers?

Susan B
30-08-2002, 05:29 PM
One you have had custom built from your own specifications after doing lots of research.

Poppa John
30-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Missus B I see you have moved your Office address. ]:) ]:) ]:) Poppa John
(he says hiding under the bed) :D

Susan B
30-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Yes Poppa, it was because of you. I had forgotten there were two kinds of "thrones". :D

BIFF
30-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Dell make good computers, and have great support. It is unlikely that you would be able to upgrade the Motherboard on one, but you can upgrade hard disks, RAM CPU, AGP Video Card, 5 1/2" drives, and PCI devices.
They are fast and look good too.

Just don't buy a slimline one so you can put a new full hight AGP video card in later on.

dipstick01
30-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Have a look in the FAQ up the top. there is one there with regards to buying a computer.

In my opinion Custom built is the way to go. You get a system to the specifications you need and will use and only pay for the things you actually need. A lot of the name brand computers come prepackaged with all sorts of bits and pieces and many of these while looking good end up sitting to one side seldom used after the initial "whats this shiny button do??" stage.

There have been some very good posts here recently on buying new computers and what is and isn't needed, I suggest also doing a search of the site and see what info you can find

Mike
31-08-2002, 08:25 AM
If you're looking for a brand, I'd go with Dell for desktop, or Toshiba for laptop.

Dell are fairly configurable - even at purchase you can request certain things to meet your specs. A lot of brand-name companies won't do this. They're a bit on the pricey side though (worth it though). If I had the money I'd buy one.

But if you don't care what brand etc. then build your own to your own specs.

Mike.

kiwibeat
31-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Build one to your own specs thats like asking what is the perfect house each person has his own reqirements and budget , ready built PCs are usually done on the cheap and dont have quality parts best for companies who dont care and only use them for office purposes

michael y
31-08-2002, 05:23 PM
thanks. All help is greatly appreciated

michael y
31-08-2002, 05:25 PM
could you tell me some companies/stores which sell dell computers?
(in the Auckland City region)

thx

Kerry Dodds
31-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Michael,

Go to http://productfinder.co.nz and put 'dell' in the search box (make sure you choose 'brands' from the drop down box next to the search box), and this will give you a list of the companies that sell Dell product - you should then be able to choose someone close to you.

You'll also be able to add them to a shortlist and send one or all of them an email requesting further information.

Cheers
Kerry Dodds
Online Campaign Director
IDG Network of Sites

Sam H
31-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Have a look at the NZ Dell site

http://www.ap.dell.com/ap/nz/en/gen/default.htm

There is an 0800 number in the top right hand corner, you could ring them and ask if they could list some Dell distributors in your area.

Regards
Sam

Biggles
02-09-2002, 08:55 AM
As far as I'm aware Dell don't have distributors - they sell direct via phone or online. I bought my current home PC online from Dell. It's been the best PC I've owned - close to zero problems after 2 years of use, and that WITH Windows ME :-)