PDA

View Full Version : TDK Speakers (post for Greg S & others)

Basil Pesto
30-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Greg

In an earlier post I recall you mentioned that you had some great TDK speakers. Are these the 'Vortex' jobbies? If so, would appreciate it if you could tell me a bit about how you have found them.

Cheers

BP

Basil Pesto
30-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Sorry - I meant 'Tremor' (not 'Vortex')

Baldy
30-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Hi,

I have got a set of top of the range TDK Tremors ( Tremor S150 )

They are incredible speakers, and highly recommendable. They range in price from $99 to $399. Try and compare them to other brands, but pretty sure once tou have heard them, you will be sold.

BALDY :-)

Chris Wilson
30-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Pifff 15" JBLs... the only way to go!

Baldy
30-08-2002, 11:33 PM
Bit of coloration in some of the frequency extremes with JBL's Chris. I am talking computer speakers here. Have you heard the TDKs working full-on ?

If I was going to use JBLs, it would be hooked up to an amp, in a dedicated audio system, not fed from a computer.

Chris Wilson
31-08-2002, 12:19 AM
computer-------homemade preamp-------(when not in use elseware, 31band graphix)--------inkel MA-410 power amp-------15"JBLs in BIG cabs with bits scavenged from CRS2 walfdales for mids & tops.

yeah its a bit colored, and the office is a bit small, but what the hey.

Baldy
31-08-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi Chris,

Sounds good.......
Me, I have Perreux Pre/Power Amp , Marantz CD, Linn T/Table, Mission speakers...... Not game to hook computer into audio system, thats why I went for TDKs (which are actually rebadged nxt flat-panel satellites, with the sub being driven two power amps, driving two 6" bass speakers

Greg S
31-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi. I have the top-of-the-range S150's like Baldy. They are staggering - very difficult to believe such power and clarity from an old PC with a very mediocre sound card attached. The price I paid was only $277.00 inclusive from a local Auckland dealer!

The bass is incredible with the subwoofer containing 2 small but potent drivers. The clarity of the system has to be heard to be believed, and we now rarely use the Pioneer hi-fi for music. In my opinion you'd need to be a total audiophile to fault them. But there's an excellent and unbiased review here (http://www.dansdata.com/s150.htm). Value for money is outstanding, and to get anything comparable I'd have had to go at least a 100 bucks more.

My only gripe is a loose connector that causes some interference, but I'll get around to having that attended to soon.

Greg S
31-08-2002, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah - my brother has a set of the S60's in his office - I haven't heard them, but he raves about them too, particularly in an environment where he can't even test them to the max.

Baldy
31-08-2002, 01:41 PM
> Hi. I have the top-of-the-range S150's like Baldy.
> They are staggering - very difficult to believe such
> power and clarity from an old PC with a very
> mediocre sound card attached. The price I paid was
> only $277.00 inclusive from a local Auckland
> dealer!
>
> The bass is incredible with the subwoofer containing
> 2 small but potent drivers. The clarity of the system
> has to be heard to be believed, and we now rarely use
> the Pioneer hi-fi for music. In my opinion you'd
> need to be a total audiophile to fault them. But
> there's an excellent and unbiased review
> here (http://www.dansdata.com/s150.htm).
> Value for money is outstanding, and to get anything
> comparable I'd have had to go at least a 100 bucks
> more.
>
> My only gripe is a loose connector that causes some
> interference, but I'll get around to having that
> attended to soon.

Mine is a bog basic computer as well........ I would love to hear them on a computer with a more exotic sound card. I have three friends who have brought TDKs after visiting here.

In regards to the loose connector, I had that in mine as well, and got round it by putting a couple of little blocks at each end, so it keeps the connectors away from the wall, if you bump the sub with your foot.

Also if you put the bass unit on something like a brick paver, you will notice a diference in the bass quality. It becomes leaner and meaner, with a lot more definition and subtilty

Greg S
31-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks for that bit of extra feedback - I'll try out your suggestions. My other brother wants to hear them out too, and he's bringing over his top-end sound card next week to try them through - I'll let you know what difference is experienced.

Cheerz

Trev
31-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi, I have also brought a set of TDK80 speakers (from Bond & Bond) and I give them a 10 out of 10. The kids have had them maxed out in their gaming (Unreal etc) & I can hear them even when I'm pulling up in the diveway from work....... :-)

Basil Pesto
01-09-2002, 09:53 AM
I was thinking of hooking them up to our telly for a cheap and cheerful mini home theatre...well... just to get a bit of stereo separation. Do you think they would be any good for that? Not looking for max volume thunderous soundtrack stuff, just a bit of depth/separation to the sound. Make any sense?

Greg S
01-09-2002, 10:06 AM
A bit difficult for me to comment on that one - but I suspect any of the range would be good regardless. Why not ask TDK themselves? http://www.tdk.co.nz/contact.cfm

Basil Pesto
01-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Yep - good idea thanks Greg, done that.

BP