PDA

View Full Version : Opening Foto Files

Veale
30-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Morning all, :)

Having a problem at work opening fotos. i was given a whole lot of fotos in jpeg format but when I go to open them, all that I get is the cross in the corner. :(

Most of the file are quite big (1 - 3megs) and I have tried opening them with all sorts of applications (imaging, paint etc).

They are quite important! Anybody have any ideas

Cheers

Veale

NathanTheKind
30-08-2002, 10:19 AM
How exactly are you trying to open them. select, hold down shift, right click, open with, then the approprieate imaging program,

eg Paint,
Imaging
PaintShop Pro
etc

Veale
30-08-2002, 01:38 PM
I use Win2000prof. To open I right click on the file and "open with" as double clicking and opening with IE as default does not work as does none of the applications named.

Veale

godfather
30-08-2002, 02:16 PM
If they have the extension "jpeg" as you suggest, rename the extension to "jpg"

Heather P
30-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Jpegs ... 1 to 3 megabytes in size?

Jpg is a compression format that reduces the size. eg the PCWorld logo at the top of the page is probably something like 3Kb.

Not knowing what the photos are, where you got them from, the computer ability of the person who sent them to you... my thought would be that someone has RENAMED the files as .jpeg rather than SAVED them as jpg.

Try renaming one from x.jpeg to x.bmp - and see if that opens. If not, go back to the source of the files and ask them for info.

honeylaser
30-08-2002, 04:30 PM
> Jpg is a compression format that reduces the size. eg
> the PCWorld logo at the top of the page is probably
> something like 3Kb.

erm.. thats a gif..

Veale
30-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Have tried renaming them various extensions, ie jpg, tiff but they all seem to have failed. It seems no extension or program have will open them.

Is there a program I can download that may open them?

I may have to give it a miss!

Heather P
30-08-2002, 04:39 PM
>>erm.. thats a gif..

True (did think of that when I was writing the reply) ... but... if it were a jpg it would still be around the same size (so I mentioned it for a comparison of size).

My uncle sent some photos by email a year or so back. Around 10 photos straight from the camera (could see around a quarter of each one on the screen and had to reduce them to print them). Total size for all 10 about 2Mb.

Images of between 1 and 3 megs sounds more like a .bmp or .tif than a .jpg.

Heather P
30-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Veale, you replied whilst I was replying. Other alternative would be if it was created in some other program - Photoshop (.psd), Corel Draw, Jasc ... then renamed.

I don't know if this would work or not but try opening one of them with Wordpad and see if the header contains information as to which program created it.

Did you find out where they came from and who created them?

Susan B
30-08-2002, 05:37 PM
Try IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/). If that can't open them it might be able to tell you what format they actually are. It has an Information dialogue box that gives a lot of details about an image.

Veale
02-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Cheers to both Heather P and Susan B,

Opening in wordpad gave me this "HPhotoshop 3.0" which I don't have, while checking this out I was downloading "Irfanview", this opened them all up immediately.

I am really grateful as these images and numerous others can now be opened and have saved me valuable time.

Again, cheers

Veale

Susan B
02-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Good one. IrfanView is a great little proggie.

Oh, you are now obligated to post the pics on a website for us all to see. :D

Graham L
02-09-2002, 04:25 PM
At 1-3 MB each, Susan? Perhaps Veale could email them to you, and you can tell us about them. (Wouldn't you like your email 2 MB limit exceeded?) ]:)

Veale
02-09-2002, 04:26 PM
You are most welcome to view some of the images
here (http://bullerdc.govt.nz/)

Heather P
02-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Useless information for the week: there are currently only 3 councils without websites in New Zealand. All 3 have registered their addresses though