PDA

View Full Version : re- screen freezing

lojos_
28-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Can you please tell me why our computer is starting to jam up?
I play checkers on line and many times the screen freezes the timer stops and I lose the game.This has been happening more and more over the last 3 months.the computer is 3 years old. Do we need to update it and how??? or buy another.
Thank you

godfather
28-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Perhaps if you told people something about the PC, such as is it an Apple Mac, or a PC, the operating system and the amount of RAM, and what speed the CPU is??

Sorry but the crystal ball is fading at this time of night....cant guess.

lojos_
28-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Sorry godfather will have to get another bulb!
Computer specs as follows
64mb pc-sdram module
celeron466 slot370 CPU

Iam not conversant with computers as you see
Thanks

Susan B
28-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Your computer might need a good cleanup. If you click on the FAQS link at the top right of this page, have a look at the threads on Scandisk/Defrag, and Deleting Temp Files and try performing those tasks.

If that doesn't help, come back here again and we'll think of something else to try.

godfather
28-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Your PC is still quite well spec'd so you dont need to upgrade.

I assume you have Windows 98? If its Windows ME, you need more RAM, but 98 is OK with 64m, however its very cheap now, so you may consider upping it to 128 or 192.

As Susan suggests, a defrag of the hard drive (re-arranges all the files into more efficient order) may help. Also, what antivirus software are you running, and how up-to-date is it?

Its so easy for nasties to infiltrate your PC when you are connected to the web, its essential. I update once every 2 weeks.

tweak\'e
28-08-2002, 11:36 PM
as mentioned a general cleanup and tuneup would be the first thing.

godfather- winME is almost the same as win98. ram wise its the same. both work well with 128 and 196 being a good performance vers $$$ point. after 196 the amount of speed gained (in normal use) is minimal.

runs good with 512;-)