PDA

View Full Version : Nortons live update

emsley
28-08-2002, 12:57 PM
I am trying to update subscription with Nortons. Computer was purchased late 2000 with Nortons version 2.0.0.963 on it. I checked website and if I'm reading it correctly, it's telling me this version no longer supports live updates. Is this right? I downloaded new version of
Nortons live update software but whatever I do I can't seem to use 'Live update' to access getting an updated subscription. Is this because my version is a dinosoaur now? I was told by software tech other day to install 2002. Is this what I need to do or is there a way to still use the Nortons already in and just renew registration (Somehow) via the live update.
Anyone been thru this before??
Ta

Lohsing
28-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I went through something similar... In the end I ditched Norton, and got myself a free antivirus program (AVG) from

http://www.grisoft.com

Never had a prob since then, and it's a lot lighter on using system resources.

Lo.

tweak\'e
28-08-2002, 01:13 PM
you can downoad updates manually. a nice kind person often posts when new updates are out. keep your eyes open ;-)

but...if its an old version (sorry can't remember ver numbers) ie pre nortons 2000, you will be better off to get a new antivirus. an up to date free one such as AVG will be better than an old out of date ver of a paid one.

Baldy
28-08-2002, 01:43 PM
> Yeah, I went through something similar... In the end
> I ditched Norton, and got myself a free antivirus
> program (AVG) from
>
> http://www.grisoft.com
>
> Never had a prob since then, and it's a lot lighter
> on using system resources.
>
> Lo.

I agree with Lo, download AVG. I have been using it since my NAV stopped downloading Live Updates.

With AVG, you will get virtually the same virus protection as Nortons, plus all the new virus definitions auto downloaded to your computer.

Save the $120 and buy yourself something nice you have wanted for ages

BALDY :-)

leshibbard
28-08-2002, 02:39 PM
I have NAV 2000 10.3.1.6 with auto update every 14 days.

Had AVG on too which was also very good, except it kept deleting copyright software which had COM.EXE embedded in 3 files.

SARC took a look at the 3 files and stated that there was nothing untoward !!!!.

Les (3)