PDA

View Full Version : CD Tray closes

Shroeder
28-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Win98SE

Quite often at the moment, after the CD Tray has been opened, it closes itself quite quickly. On a number of occassions this has meant the cd-rom being inserted is stuck halfway in (not a good look) :(

I know that bumping the tray as you insert can cause this to happen, but it also happens before you have a chance to get near the tray!

Are there any settings I can adjust before we actually lose the use of an important cd-rom.

TIA :D

Peter H
28-08-2002, 08:36 AM
No settings available as far as I'm aware. Probally a slight mis-alignment inside the unit.
Bye

BarryMcQ
28-08-2002, 01:01 PM
I know that if you open windows explorer it polls the cd drive to see if it has a cd in it. If the tray is open it attempts to close it and read the cd.

Obvious but thought it might help :-)

Graham L
28-08-2002, 02:15 PM
It's likely to be a bit of software doing it. It could be that opening the door sends a "disk change" signal, and anything which tries to autostart Cds is looking too quickly.

I once had a worse thing ... power up, and the DVD drive tray would open, close, open, close ... before anything booted. The drive was then unavailable to DOS, Win, or Linux. That was because I had a SCSI card in, with nothing connected to it. ?:| Or at least it went away when I removed that card in desperation. ?????????

Shroeder
28-08-2002, 04:26 PM
Hmm...

Maybe its time for the ole format and reinstall (that bits OK but making sure I've got all the updates sorted is a pain!)