PDA

View Full Version : pop3 settings/mysterious changes

mikejb
28-08-2002, 07:05 AM
I run XP, with Outlook express. Every now and then the Account details, especially the pop3 settings change. They change to "localhost", and then my connection doesn't work for email. What is going on ? and how do I stop it happening (fairly frequently.) ?

Jim B
28-08-2002, 07:54 AM
This is because you have PC Cillin set to scan incoming mail.
To do this it has to set up its own incoming server settings in Outlook Express

Sometimes it will fail and you need to change the incoming mailserver setting back to your ISP pop3 setting and also Account Name to just your Username as PC Cillin adds some extra to this as well.

This will allow you to now download your mail but when you restart your computer the PC Cillin settings will be put back in to the mail server settings and if it works that is fine but if it keeps failing and you have to keep putting your ISP setting to download mail you may want to consider disabling PC Cillin mail scan under its Options.

Mike
28-08-2002, 09:35 AM
It'll be as Jim B has said, but it's not limited to PCCillin - older versions of Norton Antivirus (at least up to 2000, maybe including 2001) had the same problem. All you need to do is change your settings back, and restart your computer, or turn off email checking in the antivirus program, restart the computer, and then turn it back on (you need to remember to turn it back on, else your emails won't be being checked).

Mike.

Jim B
28-08-2002, 10:13 AM
More info here

http://solutionbank.antivirus.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=10700

This is what Norton says about Mailscan

Norton now acknowledge that autoprotection of email is not necessary. As taken from their support site:

"..If you disable email protection, is your computer still safe from email viruses?
Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully protected."

mikejb
01-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone... ah yes, PCcillin DOES trigger and turn on a scan, which I don't want every now and then.. thought I'd stopped it forever ! That must be what's doing it. Ta. heaps. M.

mikejb
01-09-2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone... ah yes, PCcillin DOES trigger and turn on a scan, which I don't want every now and then.. thought I'd stopped it forever ! That must be what's doing it. Ta. heaps. M.