PDA

View Full Version : Sound in linux

SaAB
27-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Hi i'm trying to get xfree86 to make sounds, I am using slakware linux 8.0 with the 2.4.5 kernel, I have uncommented the appropriate line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules for my sound blaster live and things like workbone and (the name escapes me qmpeg or something) an mp3 player gives me sound. However xfree86 does not play any sound events (I have enabled sound server startup) and games like GNibbles does not have any sound either. Does anyone know what to do to get this working. p.s. I still prefer slakware to redhat.

Graham L
27-08-2002, 05:08 PM
I don't think xf86 actually uses sounds ... the GUI will. You probably need to start the sound from inside Gnome. I forget what I did in RH7.2. Try running soundcfg from inside a terminal screen. Or explore the setup screens in Gnome.

SaAB
28-08-2002, 08:21 AM
> I don't think xf86 actually uses sounds ... the GUI
> will. You probably need to start the sound from
> inside Gnome. I forget what I did in RH7.2. Try
> running soundcfg from inside a terminal screen. Or
> explore the setup screens in Gnome.

I was meaning Gnome (not really lingo wise) slakware does not have soundcfg, you have to set things up yourself setup screens in Gnome is where I enabled sound server startup and play sound events for whatever. In redhat with the same gnome settings I get sound but I really prefer slakware and would like to get sound up in this environment.
Thanks anyway.

Graham L
28-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Have a look at the protection bits for the devices in the slackware ... (the only slackware I use is version 2) . Or check /var/log/messages after trying to start sound --- it might just refuse to do something because of privileges.

JohnD
28-08-2002, 09:29 PM
I don't know Slackware - but RedHat uses sndconfig not soundcfg. Does that work?

SaAB
29-08-2002, 10:02 AM
I think sndconfig (whichever) is peculiar only to redhat like kudzu and such, other distributions may have other tools but I do not know of any for slakware thanks anyway. I did have to change permissions for quite a few device files I will certainly see if it says anything in the log files (why didn't I think of that) thanks.

Graham L
29-08-2002, 03:14 PM
A documentation aid I use a lot (because I forget the names, like sndconfig ;-)) is apropos . If you do apropos sound you will get a list of all the manual and help type files referring to it ...

SaAB
30-08-2002, 11:54 AM
> A documentation aid I use a lot (because I forget the
> names, like sndconfig ;-)) is apropos . If
> you do apropos sound you will get a list
> of all the manual and help type files referring to it
> ...

Thanks for that, it will probably come in handy in the future since I am forever searching for keywords in the man pages.