PDA

View Full Version : Something weird happened with our email

Ferris
27-08-2002, 12:27 PM
We received a strange email today from the postmaster telling us that an email can't be sent to this address jkchoi@colorado.edu. None of us in the company know of this email address. I have a feeling that someone has got hold of our domain name and is sending spam email. Could I be right?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to servers and such so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Jim B
27-08-2002, 12:53 PM
If you haven't sent an email to this address and that address is not on your computer or address book then another person with your address on their computer has a virus and is sending out emails and it is putting your addresss in the From field and as a result you will get all the returned mail.

Two types of virus which will do this are Klez and Yaha and there is not a lot you can do apart from deleting them and wait for them to stop unless you can check the headers of the original email and find out who the actual sender was.

There is always the possibility that you have a virus and it is sending out emails unknown to you as they will not show in your sent items.

BarryMcQ
27-08-2002, 12:55 PM
What mail server are you running?

Most Mail Servers have an option not to forward mail which is designed to stop just this sort of thing happening.

Also if you look at the properties on the email, you can tell who sent it.
Might be from a staff members mailbox (do they have a virus).

Ferris
27-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks Jim, appreciate the help.