PDA

View Full Version : server NVRam Bad error message--help!!--

Long
26-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi everyone..
I am currently working on a couple of old servers but keep getting an error message " NVRam Bad - run configuration utility".

I am pretty sure it didn't have the server at the beginning but for the IBM PC Server325 it just came out one day and I couldn't really do much about it. (Every thing is fine apart from that. I loaded the default value of the motherboard BIOS but that didn't help)

It happens to another server as well: HP Netserver LDPro. I couldn't even run any configuration on this one since I couldn't get into the motherboard BIOS..(Any one who knows how please help...)

Anybody who knows what this error message is about?? And how should I get around it?It will be appreciated if you can help..
Cheers!!!:)

Babe Ruth
26-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Long,

Usually (and I'm not necessarily an expert in this) the error message you are getting should actually be telling you to run the EISA Configuration Utility for that server. Now that utility may have come on a cd or more commonly on a separate floppy diskette. often it is only a matter of running the utility accepting the defaults and saving the EISA config (which gets saved to non-volatile ram (NVRAM) ) and then all <should> be ok

babe.

Babe Ruth
26-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Long, Further it could also be that some some servers they had a battery backup on the NVRAM as well so if the ECU process I mentioned earlier doesn't do the trick maybe? (i'm not certain) a battery check on the nvram is in order.

Babe.

Long
27-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Thanks for that. But where exactly in the NVram in a server??

And by the way, do you know if those utilities are available on line?(HP and/or IBM)

For the HP netserver it dose have a floppy however it is only a diagnostic one so doesn't really do much. (I do heard of that it is suppose to come with a so-called navigator CDROM but it is missing on this one here.)

Anyway, cheers!

Babe Ruth
27-08-2002, 12:10 AM
Long,

it would seem that the utilities are still available online on the HP site but you will have to search for them using your specific Netserver type and something like "Netserver LDPro" "eisa configuration utility" etc.

I'm not sure about the IBM server but again a search of the IBM site using similar search criteria for the pcserver may give you pointers.

Babe.