PDA

View Full Version : XP Box thing

denise
26-08-2002, 11:48 AM
What is that annoying little box thingy which appears at the top of the screen all the time. I tried to move it and it keeps springing back?

NathanTheKind
26-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Please expand your question further. What does it look like etc

:)

Mike
26-08-2002, 01:57 PM
I don't know... try asking a psychic :p

Mike.

godfather
26-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Denise, I run XP and there is no "box thingy" as part of XP.

I wonder if you have picked up some Adware that is displaying an ad or logo?

Tell us what it looks like.

denise
26-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Its about 1 inch square and is divided into 4 squares (all different colours)

godfather
26-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Doesnt sound familiar, have you always had it or did it suddenly appear?

denise
26-08-2002, 03:43 PM
Always been there, friend of mine has it too. It's on the desktop and won't move. Didn't think to run Ad Aware though. I'll see if that sorts it. Thank you

godfather
26-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Denise, are you aware you can change the desktop picture?

I am wondering if its a default windows logo you are seeing...

Right click anywhere on the desktop (not on an icon, on a spare space)

Select "properties" from the box that appears when you right click.

Select the "desktop" tab, and select another picture, from the list and "apply", then close. Let me know if the box is still there...

J ZEP
26-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Hi Denise - Do you mean a thing which has four different coloued boxes and expands with Pictures etc... if its what i think - its part of Microsoft Works Suite, Microsoft Works Portfolio (so you can e-mail pics etc...). It installs automatically there with Works Suite, I have asked the techs if its removable and apparently not - its just part of the program.
My Conclusion, cause i do not believe it can't be removed however is, if you open it and go - Tasks - options, and untick - Start Works Portfolio everytime windows starts it should get rid of it! (Don't know how you get it back tho if you do that, so i haven't tried it!) Hope that helps, it does come in handy tho for certain things.

Graham L
26-08-2002, 04:49 PM
That could be it ... a miniature toolbar. Try clicking on one of the quadrants, Denise, and see what happens.

Jen C
26-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi Denise

It is Works Portfolio. To get rid of it, just click on it to open up, select tasks and then options. Remove the tick beside "Start the Works Portfolio everytime I start Windows". Click OK and confirm OK again in the next box that pops up (also tick beside don't remind me again etc..)

Cheers
Jen