PDA

View Full Version : Printer to share with 2 computers, recomendations?

Chris Wilson
26-08-2002, 01:00 AM
i've been asked to check out printers for a small office... (The better has spoken!!!) requirements are that it be not horrendously expensive, and that the ink be economical, as they dont want to buy new ink every month..

recomendations please!!!!!

IanJ
26-08-2002, 06:49 AM
If you're just wanting black and white printing have a look at the Kyocera series.

I saw a cheap Panasonic the other day with duplexing built in.

If it is a colour printer you're after then either look at the HP's or Cannon brand. The advantage withe the Cannons is that they have seperate ink cartridges for each colour.

Ian

John H
26-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Chris, seeing you are in ChCh, and before you make a decision as to which printer to buy, you may like to contact NZ Toner Office Supplies 366 6515 to see if they do cartridge refills for the brand(s) you are interested in.

I have an HP 2100 Laserjet, and their refilled cartridges are always great, and have saved me heaps over the years (they used to refill cartridges for my HP 5MP(?) before this one as well. Plus it is as environmentally friendly as you can get with all this plastic crap...

They pick up and deliver, and always leave a bag of sweets as well! They drop off one full cartridge and take your empty away for filling for the next person. Very good people to deal with, and they also service your printer if you need it - they did a good job on mine.

I bought a cheap Lexmark from them last year for my son, so they sell printers as well. Not sure what kind of range they have.

Sorry this is not strictly on topic, but it may be a factor you would like to take into account; as HP are reputed to have said, they "are in the business of selling printer ink" or something to that effect.

John

godfather
26-08-2002, 11:17 AM
Further to the posts so far, beware the cheaper lasers. John H has a good solution, as with the slightly dearer HP lasers you get a new drum in every new toner kit. I buy recycled toner kits which have a new drum in them and are a lot cheaper. I am not sure if the refilled ones have a new drum, but if not its okay as a new kit would fix it again.

The lower end lasers (Brother, Panasonic etc) have drums that cost $300-$400 and dont last long at all, so although the printer is cheap, toner is cheap, overall running cost can be very high. I too now use a HP 2100, with a cheap DSE print server on it so its on the ethernet LAN.

Some Kyocera's have long life drums, but they are VERY expensive to replace if damaged. Also have had huge problems with the supply of parts in NZ.

In my last position I ran a fleet of printers, and we ended up with all HP, as they just kept on going...

Chris Wilson
26-08-2002, 11:38 AM
i think she would be wanting to get an inkjet....
but ALL options are being considered at this stage.

John H
26-08-2002, 11:47 AM
I have a current invoice for a recycled 2100 toner cartridge, and it is $125. Not sure how that compares with other suppliers, but it seems reasonable to me.

Another hint - if you are going the Laser printer way, make sure that your paper is of reasonable quality. I used to use the standard Whitcoulls 80gm paper, and eventually blew the ?fuser? (I think that is what it was called) on my HP 5MP. The printer was clogged with dust from the bog standard paper, and it was the cause of the fuser problem that cost about $500 to fix...

Since then I have used the paper recommended by NZ Toner Office Supplies - currently $43.50 a box - and the printer has stayed clean. So it may be a bit more expensive in the short term, but in the long term, my printer is healthier.

BTW, my HP2100 is the 2100M variety, because I used it with a Mac originally - it is not the network 2100 variant. I run a simple LAN with two computers, and to my surprise I found that both boxes could share the one printer through the network. I thought that I would have to upgrade to a networkable printer, but all I had to do was twiddle the software on both boxes to get them to share the printer through the network. I think the 2100 is discontinued, and the equiv now is the 2200? Cheaper than I paid for the 2100... So it goes.

You can see it tomorrow, Chris! And I am not connected with NZ Toner Supplies in any way except as a customer!

John

godfather
26-08-2002, 12:32 PM
John, thats a good toner price. I pay about $154 for a recycled unit, which uses some of the plastic parts but has a new drum and a toner charge. But I picked one up on special the other day for $72. A new unit is $220+

I get about 3-4 boxes of paper to a toner charge (7,500-10,000 copies) or about 1.5 - 2.0 cents per copy toner cost. I use Reflex paper, but you raise a good point with cheap stuff.

You can share most printers via a network provided the printer in connected to one of the PCs and that PC is operating. (watch some USB printers) In my case its not always the way, so I have a print server on the LAN.

Chris Wilson
26-08-2002, 01:04 PM
SWMBO has just informed me Color is needed, which makes laser out of the question for the moment..

John H
26-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Oh, I don't know. I am sure she can spring for a few grand!

John

Graham L
26-08-2002, 01:37 PM
These days in the reformed market economy, that's no problem. Use a B+W laser (at low cost per copy) and use outworkers to colour by hand. ]:)

Am I right in my impression that certain Epson printers (e.g. 480) "use" more ink at each power up ("head cleaning") than they use printing many pages?

Susan B
26-08-2002, 04:19 PM
> Use a B+W laser (at low cost per copy) and
> use outworkers to colour by hand. ]:)

LOL Graham, keep NZ employed, eh! :D

> Am I right in my impression that certain Epson
> printers (e.g. 480) "use" more ink at each power up
> ("head cleaning") than they use printing many pages?

You probably are right about that, I know someone who has an Epsom (not sure of the model) and he keeps his printer switched off at the wall to save it from wasting so much ink everytime the PC is switched on.