PDA

View Full Version : SPRING CLEAN MY COMPUTER

Baldy
25-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone:

Advise please!!!!!

I want to give my computer a good cleanout (all the rubbishy programs, files, redundant mp3's etc)

I used to have a program called Easy Reg Cleaner. Is there a better one available, and has anyone got any tips they can give me.

Thanks, BALDY :-)

robo
25-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Um, don't delete anything in the windows directory or windows\system.

But seriously, undeleting unwanted apps is a good trick, then clean your registry with a damp cloth and some windowlene. Failing that, Easy Reg Cleaner should do.

robo.

parry
25-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Robo the comedian ;-) I find cleaning the monitor in the bath easy enough but tumble drying it makes a hell of a noise and tends to dent your drier.

Things to do are...
1) Clean out you temp directory (both Windows and Internet cache)
2) After uninstalling unwanted programs do a defrag as there will be heaps of uncontiguos (theres a big word) clusters

Im sure theres plenty more :-)

Sam H
25-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Followed by a defrag, virus and spyware scans.

If you have a CD writer then any MP3's and files that are hardly ever used but you don't want to delete can be backed up onto a CDR or two then deleted off the PC.

Baldy
25-08-2002, 07:36 PM
>
> But seriously, undeleting unwanted apps is a good
> trick, then clean your registry with a damp cloth

Ahhh. My new T-Shirt dabbed in Windowlene sounds just the ticket.

BALDY :-)

Susan B
25-08-2002, 08:47 PM
Here you go Baldy, "How to clean your hard drive" (http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/cleandrive1.html).

Make sure you read ALL the instructions carefully, right down to the very last page.

Poppa John
25-08-2002, 08:55 PM
Baldy. I don't know! When us more mature blokes (old? ) ask a serious question, do you notice how we are "got at". You & I would never throw ribald comments at anybody would we? No of course not. ]:) ]:)
Innocent Poppa John :D :D

Susan B
25-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Poppa John, I owe Baldy one.... he gave me a fright!

Poppa John
25-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Ps & make sure its a soft cloth to avoid scratching P J :D

Poppa John
25-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Susan B. Very intriguing, don't stop there, how come "Fright". Poppa John:O

Susan B
25-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Poppa John, Baldy sends me funnies and one was a link to a page which gave me a big fright. :D

I didn't keep the link unfortunately, but it's best that you don't go there anyway if you've got a bad ticker. ;-)

parry
25-08-2002, 09:26 PM
LOL good one Susan.

Sam H
25-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Susan I think this is the fright you were talking about am I correct.

The Story normally goes along the lines of some thing like this...

Not for the faint-hearted.......................

Freaky stuff, read the text then click on the website below.
I Know you will enjoy this, it totally freaked me out. Read the text
first, it explains more about the ghost, when you do open the picture, it takes a minute or so before you start to see the image of the ghost. Turn
your volume up, the sound is not very good, but if the volume's on high, you can just make out what's being heard in the background. God it's REALLY creepy. Please be patient about it! Apparently
the owners of this house had been seeing images and hearing voices for
quite a while. They did some research and found that a lady once lived in the house who lost her husband during the civil war. Legend says that
she used to sit at the table and look across the fields in anticipation of
her loved one returning home. He never came. So, they say she still waits. They caught this photo of what they claim to be her. This was wild and a little spooky once you find the ghost in the picture. It took me a few seconds to find it, but when you do it really stands out. Like one of those optical illusions. To save you some time, concentrate around the table. Best not to focus too much on one spot. Look around the table and toward the window. Listen carefully for the faint voices but you can hear the ghost talking in a low murmur ... Click on address below:

http://home.attbi.com/~n9ivo/whatswrong.swf

Of course those that think about it first can tell that something is going to happen by the .swf extension on the address.

Cheers
Sam

Susan B
25-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Yes, that's the text but I'm not going to check the site to see if it's the same one. :O

My ticker was quite good until then...

Actually I remember JM posted that link on here a while ago but silly me, I had forgotten it and fell for it again. :8}

Susan B
25-08-2002, 09:56 PM
OK Baldy, after you've washed and dried your hard drive and it's squeaky clean, put it back in ;-) and do this:

Remove all your redundant programs using either the program's Uninstall utility or if it hasn't got one, use the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel.

Give Spider (http://www.fsm.nl/ward) a run.

Clean out your registry with RegCleaner (http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.shtml) but make sure you do a backup of your registry first, just in case. People have also recommended the PowerTools on this site as well.

You know the rest: delete temp files, scandisk, defrag, etc etc. There's a Press F1 Temp Files FAQ that tells you what files to search for.

Baldy
25-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Oh THAT fright Susan...... I thought you were talking about "The Piano Man" LOL

Baldy
25-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Het Poppa, if you want a fright too, click on the link that Sam H posted. Thats the one I sent to Susan........ I didn't know that Sam had ESP.

Did you get the stuff organised for the old guys at the Rest Home Poppa?

Poppa John
26-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Baldy. The Rest Home page is printed. if you want to trust me with your E-m address I will send it to you. Click on "Poppa John", I have opened my profile for today. Poppa John

Baldy
26-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice........

Poppa, I have emailed you