PDA

View Full Version : RE What Sites Do PressF1 people own

dipstick01
25-08-2002, 03:07 AM
Sorry but I'm trying to take the convo out of the FAQ so it doesn't get posted in the FAQ section.

I've co hosted the sites like they are on my site sal so I don't have frames on the main index page and to cut down on the number of needless pages visitors have to go through to get anywhere. I'm trying to get them listed with google and according to their FAQ sites with frames in the main index page are often overlooked as their spiders aren't too keen on them. Also it is a way to build traffic to the second site as the Computer Basics Site is gettng a lot of visitors.

As to getting rid of the frames all together I have only just started building sites and have no knowledge of HTML at all so all was done on a basic web builder called WebWeaverEZ (http://www.mcwebsoftware.com) and Microsoft front page for the frames etc. Once I understand things better then I can look at removing the frames for whatever but till then I click the buttons and sit with a puzzled look on my face...lol

I am planning on putting the various pages into folders at a future date once I can be bothered going through and redoing all the links

Keep the suggestions coming though as I'm developing a real interest in web building and might even plunge into learning HTML and dreamweaver and I'm always trying to make the sites better.

Any suggestions on how to get a site returning revenue without resorting to major advertising? I'm toying with the idea of getting a domain name and doing more with the site/s but the $ factor is coming into play.

Anyone with ideas for other topics I can cover in the site? I'm aiming at new or inexperienced computer users so I have to try and keep things basic and untechnical. I'm looking at a suggestion I received for a recommended downloads list for the essential little programs to have but need to keep them fairly OS general and user friendly

salá
25-08-2002, 05:49 AM
ok, my first point is that frames have nothing to do with my tip, my tip was to do with keeping things tidy, you are able to keep the index page you have now, even if you did put one 'site' into a folder, and kept the other (the computer one i presume) in the root htmldocs directory...do u get me?

second, my main dislikes for frames is not in the functionality of them, but rather how they are used or the look. usually when n00bs start off making webpages, and discover frames, they are like 'wow, so this is how they do it', and then use frames for everything, until at the end the page is a mess. i dont use frames that much now, because either most of the time they arent needed, or there is an alternative. (me, having almost no respect for browsers which i dont have, eg netscape!)

third, i too am what i consider a n00b in web design, am learning, and also am considering it as a serious past time/job, because i enjoy it so much, and am also thinking about making a site about web design (how original!), of course (as all designers would say), this wont be your average web design site, it would be more of a nz-based html help, faq filled, covers all bases (php, cgi, java, js, asp, html, flash etc) site, but im still iffy about it because it would be a lot of work

anyways, goodluck with your website development, and have fun

grtz sal.
tga

Sam H
25-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Hey Chris, your RescueAsiaPacific and Theresa Nolan links are buggered. The have http://pressf1.co.nz/www.theresa.net.nz and http://pressf1.co.nz/www.rescue.net.nz, what went wrong there?

Chris Wilson
25-08-2002, 01:05 PM
i typed in www.xxxxxxxxx
maybe i should type http:// as well?

Graham L
25-08-2002, 03:15 PM
rtfm Chris:D

Chris Wilson
25-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Come on man... it wasn't even midday, and i managed to be out of bed!
thats my excuse.
I thought i was doing well for a post that time on a Sunday.......

PS: I don't do daytime very often anymore.

Greg S
26-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Co-Developer/s wanted:

I was thinking about the domain names I have, for sites that I haven't yet got to work on, when in a flash of brilliance (first time this life-time for me!) I thought - ASK for help! Well here it is... I have the domain name microsoft.gen.nz which I registered with a view to creating a support/discussion forum or something for Kiwis.

As it turned out I never made the time to develop it. So would any bright spark here like to join me in a project using this domain? If it turns out to be a commercial viability we could come to some sort of profit share arrangement. I can host the site; I just need ideas and keyboard labour for the content and/or site design.

salá
26-08-2002, 11:32 AM
ooh, sounds exciting, only i dislike microsoft as much as i use their products (and i use them quite a bit ), but if you want a hand, i will help as much as i can. probably as a part timer, design

grtz sal.
tga

Greg S
26-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi Sal - I was hoping you'd be interested, as I've seen your design talents first-hand. Also I feel the same - I "dislike" Microslop as much as I like 'em and use 'em too.

I'll set up the basic site, then we'll have to talk about content etc, or give me any ideas you may have... hopefully we can get some from other PressF1 contributors.

: )

Chris Wilson
26-08-2002, 12:15 PM
O goody! i see a NZ flavoured version of www.****microsoft.com coming on!

(you'll have to use your imaginaton as to what to type instead of ****, as the rudey word filter killed it even when i tried to set up a link)

salá
26-08-2002, 01:21 PM
hmm, im not exactly sure what the sites gonna be about, but i dont think its gonna be a 'hate' site, well, i guess it could have a few forums directed that way, lol

grtz sal.
tga

Chris Wilson
26-08-2002, 02:08 PM
FM$ isn't just a hate site.. they do point out lots of things that you should but probably don't want to know about things going in in your computer.....

TiMę:*)
10-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Heres Timmys creations

clan -=[s.w.a.t]=-
http://www.cs-clanswat.tk

http://www.geocities.com/cs_clanswat