PDA

View Full Version : Asus 4816A CD-RW

chiefnz
24-08-2002, 10:43 PM
I have an Asus 4816A CD-RW, it's a 48x16x48 drive. the problem is that it doesn't detect all the blank CD-R's (I'm using Ricoh CD-R's 2 the moment) I insert into the drive. It takes ages for the drive to detect the black disc and sometimes it hangs my machine or I can't eject the disc fron the drive. I also sometimes have trouble reading other recordable discs in the drive. There arent any readily available 48x discs out there with the exception of the Asus brand, which are hard to find in the 1st place, but shouldn't this drive be able to automatuicaly write @ a lower speed?

I'm now sitting with about 40 (apparently useless blank discs) which I can't use in the drive. Haven't tested the discs in another Writer yet.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be. I have my 52x Lite-On-CD , cd-rom drive attached to the writer as well but disconnecting it doesnt' help either. There are no driver updates for the drive itself and I can't think of anything else that would be causing the problem other than drive to disc compatibility?

What could the problem be?
Motherboard: MSI 6368
CPU: 900Mhz Celeron(R)
RAM: 640MB
CD Writing Software: CloneCD, Nero Burning ROM (5.5.9.0)

vk_dre
25-08-2002, 12:18 AM
cloneCd & nero give u an option for which speed u would like to burn at, have u overlooked them or do they not work? If u r using win Xp then i'm guessing that u r using a generic driver from windows for ur cd writer drive, generic drivers usually cause trouble with the drives or maybe it's the device controller, i went to google and typed in "Asus 4816A CD-RW driver" here (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Asus+4816A+CD-RW+driver&btnG=Google+Search) are the results. One of the results suggested that the roxio burning engine was creating some conflict.

cheers,
v.K------------- :D

chiefnz
25-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Thanks for that I'll check it out. I am able to select my recording speed in both CloneCD and Nero but as I've said it's not the recording speed that's the problem it's the drive not detecting blank media that is the problem.

vk_dre
25-08-2002, 04:26 PM
also don't use too good a branded cdr disc cos they r meant for higher end cdwriter drives and don't use too low a branded disc cos they r meant as backup storage cds, it might help to run nero drive speed to see wot ur drive canreally handel and how long the buffer lasts when copying a cd.

cheers,
v.K--------------- :D