PDA

View Full Version : Links to other websites

allum
24-08-2002, 03:32 PM
When I open a web page and then click on one of the links to another site (inbedded in that site), the link fails to connect. A blank page opens but the contents of the new page fail to download.
The same problem occurs when I attempt to connect to a web site via a link in an email
I use Win 98, IE6 and Outlook Express 6.
I have reloaded IE6 but this has not resolved the problem.
Any ideas please?

tweak\'e
24-08-2002, 04:00 PM
try restore the file oleaut32.dll from your OS cd.

otherwise search this site. seen this problem a few times.

mark c
24-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Where do you start from? Sounds wierd to me, like a connection to the internet without the internet. I'm no techie but when I have probs (and since noone else has replied) go into safe mode and do a good maintenance. Keeps the machine running for me.

Maybe you've fiddled with one of your settings. Presuming you're using IE go into options and have a look at anything relating to "new windows" and check it's right.

Or, you're going to have to give details of yr OS, browser, settings (Java etc.) in order for people to get a grasp of where you are and why you're not going anywhere else. :)

mark c
24-08-2002, 04:06 PM
OOps, sorry about the last bit. :8}

Sam H
24-08-2002, 04:07 PM
If this is not happening to all links I would think that it is more likely to be an error in the code for the link.

allum
26-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Many thanks for the advice.
The oleaut32.dll file in Win98/system is 588kb whereas that on my Win 98 CD is only 480kb. I attempted to replace the former but got the message that Windows was using the file. So instead, I put a copy of the CD oleaut32.dll on my desk top. To my surprise this appears to have solved the problem!!
In addition, when I did a search for oleaut32.dll, it appears to also be located in two places in C/program files (one associated with the CD writer)
What does this file do? Have you any idea why placing on my desk top has solved the problem?
I think an answer of 'black magic' would suffice!
Regards
Keith Allum