PDA

View Full Version : won't virus defs. fill up hard drive?

mark c
24-08-2002, 02:28 PM
I mean, eventually. Started off Norton with 3 back up disks and ended up with 5. If more viruses are coming out all the time and all the definitions need to be recorded doesn't that mean eventually just the definitions will take up the whole of me hard drive!? :O

robsonde
24-08-2002, 02:44 PM
well after about a thousand years.... :-)

five floppy disks is only a tiny bit of you 20GB hard drive

even if you get a meg a month more data it still only 6 meg a year so over a hundred yaers it's only 600meg...

Am I going anywhere with this??

i dont think so ...

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 02:45 PM
Only if you have a really tiny HD.
Given that they are now coming out as 40-80 gig cheapys, i dont think virus definitions are going to take a significant chunk out of that.

A bigger problem might be how much it is slowing the system down with your AV programme having to check every file with that amount of virus possiblitiies

mark c
24-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Take your point robsonde.

And thanks Chris Wilson that worries me a bit too. AV programs seem a bit arsey-boo to me. To have to check everything against an ever-increasing file of defs must slow things down eventually.

Could be the chicken little syndrome, mind. :)

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 03:51 PM
if you got an old slug, try turning off the AV program, and go surfing places you KNOW are safe, watch handling round corners improve!
i think its going to be at the point soon where your going to need a computer with atleast a 300 meg proccessor just to surf the web.. o hang on, we're allready at that point
AV is just another factor to make our old machines only good for print servers, or MP3 players in the future.........

antmannz
24-08-2002, 09:32 PM
> ..... or MP3 players in the
> future.........

What do you mean in the future? I do that already. :D

Chris Wilson
25-08-2002, 01:43 AM
i can see mp3 player being vanessa, my 450 meg machines future when 2 gig proccessors are standard.