PDA

View Full Version : Re: Office xp & Product Key

J ZEP
24-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi all, I have been following a couple of threads in relation to Product keys and activation lately and office xp for that matter. Anyway i have been given a copy of Office xp by a friend, it has a product key with the c.ds - now he said he didn't want it cause he didn't use it, however i am not sure if he has actually uninstalled it - so i have been a bit hesitant to install it, as i don't fully understand how these new product keys and activation work, if he still has it installed will that be detected when i go to install it and register it? What will happen? Should i carry on waiting before i install it, until i can get a look at his puter and make sure it is uninstalled (he is overseas and has lent it to somebody who is not very computer literate)- I presume if it is still on his puter it is piracy is that right? Also when i install it can i still use Outlook Express as my default mail? I have heard it is quite a good program (office xp) ! :-)

Graham Petrie
24-08-2002, 01:00 PM
OK.

Yes if you install it and he hasn't removed it, then that is piracy.

Also, if you do it anyway, product activation is unlikely towork.

Product activation may not work anyway without a quick call to microsfot to explain the situation. I am not sure how it works, maybe someone else who has been through the process can advise?

Finally, yes, Outlook Express can be set as the default email client.

Office XP is good, although, there are not many features that weren't in 2000. I would not advise anyone with 2000 to pay for an upgrade, but if you are not paying for it, then go for it. Make sure you visit the microsoft Office update site as XP is up to service pack 2 which fixes a number of security and other bugs.

G P

Sam H
24-08-2002, 02:43 PM
> Yes if you install it and he hasn't removed it, then
> that is piracy.

Just incase you were wondering this would be piracy committed by your friend not you.

I talked to microsoft earlier this year on this very topic, they replied that as long as you have the COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) and the EULA (End User License Agreement) and the product key with the Original CD's then it is a legitimate version that you own, whether it was given to you or you bought it has no effect.

If you should run into problems installing it then you will have to ring Microsoft to Activate it over the phone, tell them the situation and they will help you get it activated. I'm not sure if you friend would get into any trouble form Microsoft though if they still had it installed.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sam

J ZEP
24-08-2002, 04:54 PM
>Yes if you install it and he hasn't removed it, then
> that is piracy.
>
> Also, if you do it anyway, product activation is
> unlikely towork.
>
> Product activation may not work anyway
> Office XP is good, although, there are not many
> features that weren't in 2000.

Thanks guys, gee that was quick Graham!!! You have both confirmed what i was thinking, i will at least wait until i have checked/or uninstalled it off his computer before trying now i think. I haven't got any office at the mo, so i am looking forward to putting it on, i have only got "Works Suite 2001" which i got with the computer. So i am getting a bit anxious about installing it :D

>>2 I'm not sure if you friend would get into any trouble form Microsoft though if they still had it installed.

Exactly - and he was good enough to give it to me, so i don't want to risk causing him any probs. I was under the impression that when you register/activate it that your computer imfo is collected or something, so as to thwart piracy, hence somebody else trys to install/activate it, it will bring up flags cause the computer imfo will be wrong?? - Who knows?? Thanks for the feedback and reassuring me of what i should do!! :-)
Cheers J ZEP