PDA

View Full Version : Urgent MS Patches Required

Baldy
24-08-2002, 12:15 PM
I have just read on the BBC, the following:

Millions of people using Microsoft's Office and Internet Explorer programs are at risk from security holes that could allow malicious hackers to change files on their computers.
The vulnerable programs include Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, Money 2002, Money 2003, Project 2002 as well as software used on internet servers.

The world's leading software maker has advised computer users to close the critical holes by downloading software patches from its website.

The flaws are the latest headaches for Microsoft, which launched a "trustworthy computing" campaign earlier this year to improve the security of all of its software.

Millions of users

The security flaws in the software means an attacker could use e-mail or a webpage to send commands to a user's computer to view files, run programs, alter data and even reformat the hard drive.

Gates: Emphasis on secure software

One of the products affected, Office, is used by around 100 million people to write documents and crunch numbers and is a major source of revenue for Microsoft.

But the company said it was not aware of any specific security breaches or the amount of any potential damage that might have occurred due to these latest flaws.

"Microsoft is committed to keeping customers' information safe," said Microsoft Security Program Manager Christopher Budd in an e-mail.

Closing loopholes

Since Microsoft boss Bill Gates launched his company's trustworthy computing initiative in January, the software giant has issued at least 30 security bulletins for flaws in its software.

Earlier this month it investigated reports that its browser has a loophole that could expose a computer user's name, passwords and credit card numbers.

Security experts say that Microsoft has become far more open about warning people about security failings.

"They are becoming very good at telling people when there are problems and that is a good thing," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at anti-virus firm Sophos.

"But one of the really disturbing things is that people don't patch their software," he said, urging users to download the latest updates from Microsoft's Windows Update site.

Having your computer re-formatted from afar would be a bit scary
BALDY :-)

dipstick01
24-08-2002, 01:54 PM
I am constantly amazed at the number of people that don't or won't update their products through Microsoft.
I have just chatted to a friend who was having startup problems untill I asked if they had ever updated. "what?" was the reply. After updating the problem has magically fixed itself and their computer is running fast and smooth.
I have had people disable the automatic update feature as they are not to sure what it is or in one case the person didn't like it slowing down their internet speed so had disabled it, fair enough but he never bothered to do any manual updates either.
If you are reading this then PLEASE PLEASE update your windows from the microsoft site, if you don't want the latest versions of any of their products then at least grab all the CRITICAL updates as these are the important ones that cover security holes etc in the programs.
The service is free and can save a lot of headaches for yourself and the person who helps fix your computer.
Microsoft Updates (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)
this is a link to the site, once there click on the the words in the middle of the page that say PRODUCT UPDATES and then follow the instructions. As a general rule of thumb if it is a CRITICAL update then grab it, picks of the month can be good as can recommended updates but leave the language options and .net framework alone unless you have a specific need for it.

Terry Porritt
24-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Also just a plug for IDG; dont forget one can subscribe to their free Virus and Security newsletter which gives links to the latest patches etc.

http://www.idg.tx.co.nz/go/to/t/subscribe/

mark c
24-08-2002, 03:29 PM
>> If you are reading this then PLEASE PLEASE update
> your windows from the microsoft site, if you don't
> want the latest versions of any of their products
> then at least grab all the CRITICAL updates as these
> are the important ones that cover security holes etc
> in the programs.

Thank you dipstick01, have just taken your advice. maybe lots of people don't do it because of the "if it ain't broke...." syndrome. Lot of us get so nervous about these machines we're put off doing something out of the ordinary. (ie emails, surfing & games) :)

dipstick01
24-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Have at look at my website Basic Computer Stuff (http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz)
Its designed so people can learn the basics about their computers and also look at doing more online instead of just emails and whatever. If you have any sugegstions for topics to cover in there then can you please send me an email??.....I know there is a heap more I can cover but the brain has gone blank after putting the second site there too.

mark c
24-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks for that, I was speaking in way for the many others who are nervous about comps. but got past it a little myself. Good on you for your two sites/two halves of one site. had a look around and yes, good stuff. When I started I spent ages at newbie sites and many were good, some hopeless "this is a keyboard and this is a monitor" style, but thankfull for them all.

I'll have a good look at it let you know when I have. (Don't particularly like those frames down the side but just personal thing. Irritates the hair off me head if have to scroll down to see what's available.) :)

J ZEP
24-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Hi Dipstick, just thought you might be interested that i have recommended your site to a few friends who are newbies, since you first posted it on here, its really good for them and explains all the important stuff in a way newbies can understand. Well Done!!:-) And the feedback i have got off them is that they learnt alot off it!

Baldy
24-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Further to my original posting, I should have added that EVERYONE can have Windows Update enabled, and it prompts you to download all the latest patches etc...... I feel its as important as having virus protection, but something that not a lot of my friends know about (until I herang them on it LOL)

Dipstick, your web page is invaluable. Although your XXX site advise made me Mum blush ;-)

SoniKalien
24-08-2002, 07:34 PM
I never bother with updates. They either cause more holes or add new bugs.

WOLFTAM

SiK

J ZEP
24-08-2002, 08:25 PM
OOPS!! Sorry about that Baldy - for some reason i thought this was a posting dipstick had done :8}

> I feel its as important as having virus
> protection, but something that not a lot of my
> friends know about (until I herang them on it LOL)

Gotta agree with you there, alot of newbies don't understand about Windows Updates or confuse them with virus updates too i find, i was among them when i first started using a computer again too!

dipstick01
24-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the support on the web site

If you think the xxx advice made ya mum blush can you imagine the phone call I got from mine?? :8}

parry
24-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Superb site Dipstick01. Would definitely recommend to anyone who was a new user to PC's. Only comment/suggestion on the brief look I had was that you mention Windows Update but dont advise them how they could check if automatic update is on.

Baldy you can set this by selecting Start-Settings-Control Panel-Automatic Updates, although you may have already worked this out. :-)

Baldy
24-08-2002, 10:20 PM
Hi Parry,

Thats what I did when I first brought my PC (on advise from the retailer) It saves a lot of worry eh

Vince
25-08-2002, 05:03 AM
> I never bother with updates. They either cause more
> holes or add new bugs.
>
> WOLFTAM
>
> SiK

From the comments above I can only assume that you haven't really tried Windows Update. I have downloaded every update for three years now and have had not a hint of trouble as a result! Some troubles have disappeared after an update though. Vince

Vince
25-08-2002, 05:16 AM
> Superb site Dipstick01. Would definitely recommend to
> anyone who was a new user to PC's. Only
> comment/suggestion on the brief look I had was that
> you mention Windows Update but dont advise them how
> they could check if automatic update is on.
>
> Baldy you can set this by selecting
> Start-Settings-Control Panel-Automatic Updates,
> although you may have already worked this out. :-)

Not everyone can; I am using Win98 and the option is not available, or did I miss somthing? Vince