PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Intellimouse on the fritz?

John H
24-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Anyone had any problems with a Microsoft Intellimouse? For some time I have been bothered by "static-like" little flashes on the monitor, and have just realised this morning that they are coming from mouse movements. Moving the mouse causes horizontal flashes across the screen, and rotating the jog wheel causes a vertical series of flashes down the left hand side of the monitor.

Oddly it only happens on the XP box, and not on the 98se box on the network (both computers are controlled by the same keyboard, mouse and monitor through a switch).

Doesn't seem to be cord related, or cord connection to the switch, if all sorts of elaborate cord waggling is an adequate test...

Is this thing just going terminal? I have had a lot of unexplained XP crashes recently - surely that could not be connected?

BTW, as a gratuitous comment, is combining Microsoft and a word suggesting intelligence an oxymoron?

Thanks for any suggestions (about the mouse, that is).
John

Sam H
24-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Sorry I have never come across this before and I can't find any info on the net about it either. The only thing I can think of is that if the mouse cord is in contact with the monitor cord eg. crossed over one another, then position them so that they are not touching. It's worth a try.

Regards
Sam

Baldy
24-08-2002, 12:24 PM
> Sorry I have never come across this before and I
> can't find any info on the net about it either. The
> only thing I can think of is that if the mouse cord
> is in contact with the monitor cord eg. crossed over
> one another, then position them so that they are not
> touching. It's worth a try.
>
> Regards
> Sam

Sam is right on the button...... A friend had similar problems ages ago with a different brand of mouse, and was remedied by making sure all electrical cords were seperated so they didn't electrically interact with each other.

BALDY

John H
24-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Well, I never. I separated the mouse cord from others it was criss crossing, and presto, no more static like flashes across the screen (isn't it hard to verbally describe a visual thing...???).

The mouse cord was all over the place; specifically crossing the LAN switch power cord and two ethernet cables. Not sure which cross(es) was/were causing the problem because I separated them all at the same time. Duh. Presumably it was the power cord? Whatever, thanks both, because that seems to have solved it.

Hasn't stopped the unpredictable XP crashes though, so bang goes another of my half baked theories... The crashes only occur when I am playing a Microsoft game like Hearts or Freecell, so maybe it is the Dark Side of the Force taking revenge for my total lack of respect for their products.

Thanks again.
John

Sam H
24-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Glad to be of help John H,

As for your problem with XP Crashing have a look in Microsoft Error Reporting and tell us what errors it has in there that correspond to the crash times.

To get to error reporting go Start, Help and Support, then under Pick a Task click 'Use Tools to view your computer information and help diagnose problems' , now on the left hand side select 'Advanced System Information' then on the right hand side 'View The Error Log'.

If there are errors listed in there that correspond to when your system is crashing then tell us what they say and we will try our best to try and help fix the problems.

Best of Luck

Sam H.

John H
24-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Wow, thanks Sam. I didn't know that facility was there. I have had three crashes today, and there are three similar error messages in the log as follows. The date is given in the first column, the source is given as Ci, and the messages are:

"Content index on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci is corrupt. Please shutdown and restart the Indexing Service (cisvc)."

"Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by refiltering all documents. "

"Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by refiltering all documents."

Of course I am not sure that these are connected with the crashes, but you may have some idea of that? I will check with the log if/when I have another crash.

Thanks.

John

Susan B
24-08-2002, 08:47 PM
Sounds like the Indexing Service is causing trouble. It's a good idea to remove it.

Go to Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services

Scroll down to indexing service, right click and select properties, and change the list box that says automatic or manual to disabled.

John H
24-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks Susan. I have followed the instructions (very clear thanks), and will see what happens.

I have heard before that Indexing causes problems but didn't know what to do about it.

Cheers
John