PDA

View Full Version : My USB Port won't recognise my digital camera

Johnny R
23-08-2002, 09:51 PM
I have installed two USB ports on my 3 yr old computer running Windows 98.
The bios recognises them. The Device Manager shows a yellow warning sign when I try to use it and says I need to install a driver. I've done that via my Windows CD but no luck.

What do I need to do to make it work?

vk_dre
23-08-2002, 10:13 PM
it would help if u gave more info on ur computer, but maybe u need a new driver, cos the windows 98 cd is pretty old, try going here (http://www.driverzone.com) for a new driver.

cheers,
v.K------------- :D

wotz
23-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Have you installed the camera software? You need that for the camera to be recognised when you plug it in

Johnny R
23-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Yes, done that.
I've looked on the Microsoft site and found the explanation of the error code (Code 10). I'll try physically re-installing the device.

What is the name of the driver I need?

godfather
23-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Did your USB port card not come with drivers???

Without these your PC will have a problem. Later operating systems like XP have drivers pre-installed but likely not for 98.

Go to the card makers web site for drivers.

Terry Porritt
24-08-2002, 08:57 AM
Just to get a bit more clarification.......
Did you actually install a USB card, or did you connect USB connectors to an existing USB socket on the motherboard?

If the latter, be aware that the connectors from motherboard to the sockets on the metal strip are are not all wired the same, you would need the one specific to your motherboard.

Also you may find that there are USB drivers specific to your motherboard chipset, eg the VIA usb driver, which would be on the motherboard utils CD if you had one.

tweak\'e
24-08-2002, 11:09 AM
one small thing, this may depend on which usb card you installed, that when i last installed a usb card on win98se we didn't need any drivers as it runns off windows drivers.

Johnny R
24-08-2002, 09:31 PM
It was a USB card bought from Dick Smiths. No ID on it. Drivers installed via Windows 98 disk.