PDA

View Full Version : Scanning to a File

Poppa John
23-08-2002, 08:57 PM
I recently wrote an article on my XP word processer & saved it into My Documents I know it was there because I printed it from there. However it has disappeared & I don't want to re-type 5 x A4 pages again. I have Scanned the first page & put it into a new file in Documents, but I cannot put P2, P3 P4 etc into the same File. Is it possible?. Should I try to load it into a 3.5 disc first instead? Thanks.. Poppa John

godfather
23-08-2002, 09:07 PM
Poppa, I assume you have scanned and "OCR" converted the image to text. I am aware that most supplied scanner software doesnt allow you to scan multiple pages, so just scan each page to a separate file, then open the first one, then the second, highlight all the text from P2, position your cursor at the bottom of P1, and paste P2 in.

Close P2, open P3, highlight all P3 text, copy, go to P1+2, cursor at bottom, past etc...

Now, its not "those" pictures you are scanning is it....

wotz
23-08-2002, 09:14 PM
If you have scanned as image, not OCR, you could make a word doc with right number of pages and insert the pics. File ends up a lot bigger, and quality not as good. Depends on your needs as to whether it is ok.

Heather P
23-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Computers don't often lose files. The usual cause of a lost file is either:
- saved in the wrong place
- has a different name to what you thought.

Try using "Find"

Start; Find; Files or Folders; In "named" type doc; In "Look in" click on "My Computer" (and, if you can remember the rough date of when you created it, click on "date" and type a date - this helps to filter the search down a bit)

Poppa John
23-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Heather. Am assuming your "Find" is XP "Search". Done that, no joy.

Goddie & Wotz. Don't know what you mean by OCR. When I scan P1 into a My Document File it comes up as a text page with the correct picture at the top of the page, so I assume the scanner & the computer are talking to each other. I had a look at the scanner Help. it is possible to scan multiple images to a common file, but not as a single Word Document. Looks as if I shall have to try Cut & Paste tomorrow when I am fresh. Thanks Tired Poppa John

merlin-nz
23-08-2002, 10:05 PM
PJ,

Quick note to say that I have found in the past, if you scan a document then copy and past the said document to where-ever, that it seems to work a lot better.
Seeing as my typing skills are limited to at most four digits (fingers) I find that scanning and copy/paste is by far the easist.

cheers merlin-nz ;)

Poppa John
24-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Goddie. Will you run thro those Cut/Paste details again but in more detail please. I have not done C & P yet. I now have all six pages scanned into My Documents as P1, P2, etc. I even wrote them onto a CD. Somehow or other I need to get them all together again, help. Poppa John

godfather
24-08-2002, 10:15 PM
OK Poppa

Open Page 1 in word

Now open page 2 in word

With page 2 showing,

Edit - select all

Edit - copy

Now close Page 2

Open Page 1 (it probably is on the screen after closing Page 2 anyway)

Position your cursor at the end of the text on page 1

Edit - Paste

This pastes all the content of Page 2 onto the end of page 1.

Edit - save

Dont close Page 1, but open page 3

On page 3, edit - select all

Edit - copy

Close page 3

Open Page 1 (probably displays anyway)

Position the cursor below the end of the text on the second page

Edit - Paste.

Edit - save

Dont close Page 1, but open Page 4

On page 4, edit - select all

Edit - copy

Close page 4

Open page 1 (probably displays it now anyway)

Place cursor at very end of text on the last page

Edit - Paste

Edit - Save

Open page 5.....repeat

J ZEP
24-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi Poppa John, o.k well i am not GF (wrong sex) but if its any help - and you mean you don't know how to copy and paste heres a thread from awhile back that i replied to of yours that has cut,copy and paste imfo in.

http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22574&message=65230&q=cut+copy+#65230

:-)