PDA

View Full Version : DVD / CDRW problem

azza
23-08-2002, 07:50 PM
I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

I have an AOpen 16x DVD set up on my Seconard IDE master (2 HDD's assigned to Primary channel). I have never had any problems with this setup.

Recently I purchased an Acer 6432 writer, which I also have no problems with (it is installed on Secondary, Slave). My problem is, is that the DVD (my main optical drive) now does not spin up when a disk is inserted, and so doesn't read it. I can get it to read by going into the properties of the drive, and clicking Populate under Volumes. Windows does not report any problems with the drive.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this problem, and how to fix it. I can always switch one of the drives to the primary channel, but do not want to do this for performance reasons.

Graham L
26-08-2002, 03:27 PM
I don't know ... I'll bump this up and see if anyone does. ;-)

godfather
26-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Is autoplay enabled (my computer-right click on drive-autoplay)

What actions are indicated? If "take no action", then its working ok

Obelix
26-08-2002, 04:25 PM
I had a similar problem on a machine recently. Autoplay appeared to be enable but it still was not working properly.

It appears that in Win XP there are a couple of Autoplay settings hidden. My suggestion is to download an XP tweaking program that will allow you to check and make sure that it is turned on properly

Lohsing
26-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Have you tried switching the Master/Slave settings? I have the same setup, with an older DVD-rom... always been told to have the dvd as slave, so that might be it?

Lo.

azza
26-08-2002, 07:03 PM
Autoplay is turned on, but even if not I, I should still be able to read the disk from explorer.

I have now switched the DVD drive to the primary slave position (both drive Primary IDE drives are at least ATA33, so shouldn't have performance issues), but still have the same problem.

So my setup is now:

Primary Master HDD
Primary Slave DVD-Rom
Secondary Master HDD
Secondary Slave CDRW

- with exactly the same problem as before. Any more ideas???

azza
26-08-2002, 07:15 PM
OK - I think I've nailed it. When I installed the CDRW, I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 to go with it. Easy CD Creator 5 installs drivers for the optical drives on a system, and it was these that were causing the problem - when I unintalled Easy CD Creator 5 the problem disappeared.

I'm currently downloading the 5.1 patch, and this should fix my problem.

Rod ger
27-08-2002, 10:22 PM
If you are having trouble still try swapping the CDRW to secondary master
There seems to be a definite preference for this with some units.