PDA

View Full Version : file sharing between XP and win98

robsonde
23-08-2002, 04:10 PM
I have a XP system and a windows 98se systemon a local network.
thay can talk TCP/IP pings look good.

i have set up file sharing on both systems and i can see both systems across the network.

the problem is when i try to access a file it says "the network resource in not availble"

i was told there is a iffrence in how XP run file sahring and that i can get a patch for the 98 box so it will act like an XP system anyone know of this??

godfather
23-08-2002, 04:23 PM
When you say you have set up file sharing, have you done it both at the "enable sharing of files and printers" network level AND at the folder level, "enable this folder to be shared"? - On each machine?

John H
24-08-2002, 09:37 AM
I have the same set up and it works for me. I did not have to patch the 98se system to do this.

The only frustration I have is the slow speed of the network. It takes forever for the XP box to access the 98se, and opening word files is painfully slow. Not sure if this is normal - the network operates through a 10/100mps switch.

However in answer to part of your question, it does work, albeit slow, and I did not need to use a patch...

John

Graham L
24-08-2002, 02:03 PM
It should be quick. Long delays, "forever", often mean that the systems are having trouble resolving the domain names.

robsonde: you probably need to have a "user" on the XP for the 98 to be allowed access..

John H
24-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks Graham. The odd thing is that there are extremely long delays with XP accessing the 98se box. The other way round is very rapid. In fact it is as fast as the 98se accessing its own files.

Quite why one should be that much faster than the other is beyond me at this stage. With heaps of RAM on the XP box, it certainly isn't a memory problem...

John

Graham L
24-08-2002, 02:44 PM
John: that looks as if the 98SE knows about the XP (has its IP address stored) but the XP is trying to access external DNS servers to resolve the address for the SE. It might try , even if you are not connected to the Internet (or ISP). Eventually it will give up, and go down its resolving chain, eventually looking at the local net. Do you have a "default domain" setting in the MS network stuff? That's the sort of thing ... or HOSTS or LMHOSTS file ?

John H
24-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Graham - I am an ignoramus with networking, so I am not sure that everything is set up properly.

In TCP/IP properties, there is an address set for the "Preferred DNS Server" and another address for the "Alternate DNS Server". Am I getting close to what you are asking?

John

Graham L
24-08-2002, 03:31 PM
I know little about MS networking ... but those DNS server settings are pretty much associated with your Internet connection (and will use your ISP's DNS servers). The local network should set up its own things ... I'd be inclined to use fixed IP addresses for both. If you have ICS set up on the XP, that might have set up a DHCP server, which is a bit un-needed for 2 machines). I suspect that uninstalling the networking and reinstalling it might help. There's so much interaction ...

Where are all the MS network gurus?