PDA

View Full Version : Sisters! Her PC problem(besides the kids)

Neil McC
23-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Hi,her PC Win98,300odd mz.The nephew installed a game patch,now everything is slooow.Tried scandisk,defrag.They just freeze,so pushed reset and the thing scans ok,back to main screen.Tried to scan and defrag in safe mode,but the same thing happens.The sis is trying to get the boy to acknowledge that it was his doing!So is waiting till he 'fesses up.But suggestions please.Refresh after uninstalling his game?Or try that first and see how it runs (the weasel!)(or the monkey) Doesn't want to lose all the daughter's music downloads or her own stuff,as she has no cd writer.I'm glad my boys have their own PC's (and homes) Thanks.

antmannz
23-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Try uninstalling the game first.

Details of what game and what patch would help here.

Capt Jimbo
23-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Check Add/Remove programs in control panel
He may have installed more than just a patch
You could also run MSCONFIG from Start/Run
That should indicate what programs are initiated at start up

Biggles
23-08-2002, 04:07 PM
And she could cut the kid some slack - game patches don't usually kill PCs. If she let him install the game on the PC she can hardly complain if he installed an authorised patch for it from the game developer. What was the game and what patch did he install?

Neil McC
23-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks for those replies.Just been talking to her again.The game is zoo tycoon 2 and the patch was from a friend so he can run it without the cd.Now,sis can't get msconfig up.Start/run and select it ok,but nothing happens.So she's put the recovery cd in before restarting the pc.It sits there with writing on the screen but nothing to select,so might have to go round and have a look tomorrow.Neil.

antmannz
23-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Considering that's a Microsoft game, that sounds more like a crack to me, not an authorised patch.

Biggles
23-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Agreed - it is a crack, not a patch, and therefore he has indeed been a naughty boy. Since crack are made by the hacking community, you are leaving yourself open to problems by using them.

Baldy
23-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Did he borrow the game from someone as well.

I would uninstall the whole kaboozle, and only run Zoo with the original disk