PDA

View Full Version : New Partition in XP Pro

Basil Pesto
23-08-2002, 07:41 AM
I have a new computer with a 30GB hard drive with no partition and I would like to put a partition in. I have downloaded a demo of Partition Magic 7.

I've read all the previous posts on this and it doesn't really sound like a simple exercise. I'm paranoid about stuffing something up. Is this a fairly straightforward thing to do for an intermediate user to pull off? I'd like to know what the pitfalls and risks are. Should I get someone else (i.e. paid help) who knows about this stuff to do it for me??

wotz
23-08-2002, 08:18 AM
Hi. I did this with XP Home and now have a problem (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=23907&start=0&msRange=15). I also understand the demo version of partition magic 7 will not actually complete te task, it only lets you see how it works and stops short of doing it.

Scott Bartley
23-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Your XP Pro CD is bootable. Put it in the CD drive and (if required) go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence so you boot up from the CD.

When XP setup starts you have a number of options regarding partitioning, but if you have a blank hard drive it should do everything for you.

Check out this Microsoft support article for detailed info.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/guide/installnew.asp

Scott Bartley
23-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Hmmmm...not sure why that link is all screwy......
try this (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/guide/installnew.asp)

btong
23-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Partition Magic Pro 7.0 works well most of the time but I have screwed one hard drive in the process (only once). But don't let that put you off. As I said, it works most of the time. If you have an external HDD, back up the hard drive first. Also, make you you create an emergency boot disk with Partition Magic.
If you don't wanna pay for the full working copy of Partition Magic Pro 7.0, there are ways around it. Unfortunately, I can't really go into too much detail here as I will be seen as a person supporting such "illegal" activities. But then again, my philosophy is, why pay $$$ when you're just gonna use the software once or twice only. Why can't they have a pay-per-use philosophy. Afterall, we don't partition our HDD on a daily or even weely basis.

tweak\'e
23-08-2002, 12:23 PM
there are free partion programs out there such as ranish. just be prepared to lose all data on the disk.

Graham Petrie
23-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Scott - the forum inserted a space between 'start' and 'ed' in 'started'.

Best to post long links as you did hte second time.

Sweet. :D

G P

Graham L
23-08-2002, 06:01 PM
That's interesting. I see a spurious space between the "i" and "n" of "installnew". There's still a minor advanced feature in the wordwrap routine.

Graham Petrie
23-08-2002, 06:38 PM
You're right Graham - didn't see that. The gap I saw is displayed in the post, but the actual link has the gap you noticed.

Sheesh!

G P

Basil Pesto
23-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Well thanks,folks - I think? Appreciate the posts but there's nothing there that overcomes the paranoia I mentioned. It all sounds hairy. I neglected to say in the original post that the computer is a laptop, which I think might complicate things.

I know the advantages of having OS and applications on one partition and data files on another but this is looking too difficult. Might just live with everything on one drive/part'n.

Would still welcome views.

Marty2001
23-08-2002, 09:54 PM
I have partitioned lots of PCs and laptops but would not recommend it for an inexperienced user unless they were willing to lose data.
As the previous post mentioned, it is not worth you buying a program when you will only use it once or twice - unless you get a group and install and uninstall the app on various PCs and share the cost
The best option would have been to have it partitioned when you bought it
I would just make a new folder and call it M drive and save your documents there
The only real reason you need a partition would be if you decided you wanted to dual boot and I don't recommend this either
If the time comes that you want to reformat, just copy the M drive to your CD writer and reformat the whole PC with the recovery CD
If you have a Windows XP CD, you can repartition during the reformat

Graham L
24-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Basil: I get the impression that this is a"new" computer. So you haven't got much to lose. If you have a few files you have made, back them up with WinZip or something onto floppies or CD-RW. All the software which came with it should be stored on the CDs. If you have a CD (or more) for each item, you should have no problems. If you have a "Recovery CD", it should be OK, but it would pay to ask the shop (or manufacturer) if there is anything to watch out for.

It's not a matter of "If you repartition, all you will be left with is a pile of smoking ashes". It is just that so many people will not read the instructions . They get into trouble. So the tendency here is to warn people that things can go wrong.

One major problem is making the "system" partition too small. It is hard to fix that when it becomes a problem.

But if you are doubtful, just leave it as it is. It will work like that. Millions do work like that. And the safest rule with computers is: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Graeme
24-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Hi

I recently also bought a new computer with XP pro and 80GB hard drive - I wanted to partition it so I could install Linux and also to reduce the size of the windows partition and for more flexibility

When you do a clean install of XP from a CDROM it allows you to delete all existing partitions and create new ones of any size you desire - you will lose any data on the partitions you delete. If you create more than one partition, XP will create one primary partition and rest extended partitions.

The only problem I had was I created two 1 GB partitions at the start followed by 9GB partition for XP, then another ten partitions or so - windows ended up on E: but insisted on formatting C: as well and has appended the name "system" to the C: partition even though XP is in E:
My PC is working fine though.

So if you install XP to the first partition (C: ) you should have no problems. Its very easy - you just select new installation during the install. If your computer came with drivers that have to be installed as well then you may find that after installing XP, you have to install those drivers before everything works normally e.g. for me, my monitor resolution was stuck at 400 by 600 (or something) until I installed the video driver.

You can format (but not resize or create) unused partitions from within XP any time you like e.g. NTFS FAT32 FAT16. Thidr party tools like partition magic or system commander or bootitng allow you to resize partitions without losing data but its best to partition when you have a new PC rather than later on. If you leave unused space on the drive, Linux is able to partition and use that space when it is installed.

As far as I can tell, the main benefit of partitioning (apart from multibooting) is that you can contain fragmentation e.g. some people recommend having a small 512MB partition just for the swap file which handles virtual memory. I've heard that if you have to reinstall the OS, having your applications in their own partition makes the process easier but I haven't figured out why this is. Possibly doing backups is easier if all the stuff that needs backing up is in one partition.

Look for "clean install" on this site
http://www.winsupersite.com/default.asp

Graeme

Graeme
24-08-2002, 05:11 PM
oops - when I said "the rest extended partitions" I meant one extended partition with multiple volumes in it.

You can create a boot disk from info/ download at
www.bootdisk.com

Graeme