PDA

View Full Version : File Security

Ken Smith
22-08-2002, 09:28 PM
I use Windows 2000 Professional as my operating System, and have recently loaded a considereable amount of achive information into a partition in my second hard drive. The computer is also used by my children. As a significant amount of the information is confidential (eg Client Accounts, business correspondence etc) I wish to secure access to the particular archive files, such as by password,, and if necessary the entire partition. Is there an easy way of doing this in Win2000 Pro or does one have to buy some special software. Any Suggestions please.

Marty2001
22-08-2002, 11:58 PM
If you right click on the folder - there will be tabs for sharing, web sharing and security. If security is not there, then the hard drive needs to be converted to NTFS to allow you to lock access by user login.
If security is there, then create a computer account for your children and do not tell them your password. Give them power user rights and deny them access to the folders you want to protect.
If security is not there, post back and someone will advise. NTFS has the one drawback that it can be difficult to access if the operating system goes down and you do not have another machine available with an NT system to put the hard drive in to.