PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 8.2

Ashley Matthews
22-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi,

I've just bought a copy of Mandrake 8.2. I've finished installing it (this is on my other machine). I'm a linux newbie. Whenever I boot up my computer i come to the boot loader. I can select my Windows 2000 OS -and that works fine. However my problem is that whenever I Boot Linux from the Mandrake Boot Loader it just goes to the command prompt and asks me for my root password. I've tried typing startx and that comes up with an error? What am I doing wrong? How do I make it go to a graphical KDE/GNOME login screen or straight into KDE or Gnome from a text login.

Thanks a bunch.

Please help.

JohnD
22-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Ashley

The first thing is that if you didn't create a non-priveledged user at install you should do so now. Use useradd and passwd commands to create a user for everyday use - you shouldn't use root for this.

It sounds as if your video card is not configured properly or maybe it is not supported? I presume Mandrake is the same as RedHat - at the command prompt type Xconfigurator (watch the capitalisation) and try to reconfigure your card and screen.

If you are successful at this you then need to change your runlevel to go straight into X-windows. Use mcedit to do this - edit the file /etc/inittab. You will find a line like this id:3:initdefault: change the 3 to a 5 and reboot.

Hope this helps
John

Graham L
23-08-2002, 04:30 PM
I think it is worse than that. I though that the modern installers insisted on a root password. Did you give one, then forget it? If it allowed to toi complete the installation without a root password, we have a simple solution: Just press the "enter" key when it asks for a root password. It should then log you in as root. It might start up the X server and a GUI. Open a terminal window, and you will have the "#" prompt. Enter "passwd" and it will prompt you for a root password. Then maake an ordinary "user level" account. DO NOT use the root account unless it is essential. Apart from the risk if you are on the Internet (if someone gets in with root privilege, you are in trouble) you can do a lot of damage with very little effort. Always log in as a user. There is the "su" command to make you root for a few commands, then Ctrl/D or logout will get you back to the user level.

If you have forgotten the root password this is a little trickier.
Boot, and at the LILO "boot:" , type "linux 1". That will bring it up in single user mode, which is root, and without a password. Then use the passwd command to make a new root password.

Mzee
24-08-2002, 01:36 AM
If you have an AMD cpu on your machine, forget it!
Mandrake 7.1 to 8.2 will not work reliably on it.
CD Roms locking up, crashes when a drive is accessed etc.
I have tried with all the patches, but it is still no good.
In the end, even if you get it to work, what do you do with it? There are thousands of programs for linux, but none of the "desktop" ones are a patch on Windows.

BarryMcQ
24-08-2002, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with Mzee :-)

Linux has several great things going for it....

It gives you the opportunity to get familiar with unix (a great benefit if you want to get into an IT job).

Most of the software for linux is free! and can normally be configured to do exactly what you want (ok the learning curve might be slightly bigger, but at the end you have what you want, not what somebody else has forced you to do).

And I have found that nearly all the programs I have run in linix are noticably faster than the windows equivalent.

Having said that, I have to say the 1 thing I think microsoft are good at is building a user friendly GUI. X still has a way to go in this area.

BarryMcQ
24-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Oh I forgot I run Mandrake 8.2 on AMD and haven't had any problems yet! Of course I don't play any games on that box :-)

Mzee
24-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Interesting!

Have you any idea why both Mandrake 8.2 & 7.1 will not function on my computer?

CD & Zip will not read, both are on "supermount" & are mounted.
System freezes when CD or other drive is used.
Will not install software.

I used to have Mandrake 6.5 without any problems. The only change to the hardware is a G-Force 2 video card instead of Virge S3.

It works perfectly with ME & XP Home.

Graham L
25-08-2002, 04:46 PM
According to the Hardware_HOWTO (updated August 2002), the G Force 2 should be OK. But you need to install some more software to use it. There is another HOWTO about the requirements for nVideo cards. But if you don't like Linux anyway, it isn't compulsory. OS flames are pointless. ;-)

Alasta
25-08-2002, 06:52 PM
I have a Hercules Prophet II which, I think, has a GeForce IImx chipset. I'm an out-of-the-box install of Mandrake 8.2 with Xfree4.2 on an AMD Duron 1.2GHz, and this system is rock solid. I have burned CDs, as well as mounting floppy, CD and Zip disks without any stability issues.

Of course, earlier versions of X may well struggle with the GeForce cards.

Alasta
25-08-2002, 06:54 PM
Just as an afterthought to the original poster: Don't forget that Linux passwords are case sensitive. I know of cases where the installer has begun with the caps lock activated, and people have wondered why their root password will not work once the machine is booted.

Mzee
27-08-2002, 12:04 AM
I have solved the problems on my AMD 6 computer with Mandrake 8.2

I deselected the "DMA" on the drives in the Bios & everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the help ;-)