PDA

View Full Version : minimise jpeg file

denise
22-08-2002, 05:46 PM
I've got some advertising on a CD and I want to send a jpeg on it as an email attachment. File size is 1.1MB though. Is there any way I can minimise file size without loosing pic. quality. I have Photoshop - (The disk also has the image in PDF format if that helps) Thanks

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Saving in Paint as a JPEG (Using Win2K) Has always shrunk file size for me, no nitcable change in quality if any, I'm not sure though, usually quality is the compramise!

Graham L
22-08-2002, 05:59 PM
You can't reduce the size without losing quality. But JPEG is designed so you can select a suitable compromise. I don't know how you specify this in Photoshop: you ought to be able to select a "quality" setting and view the result, but at least you should be able to get the file into Photoshop, the "Save As", and the jpeg type should allow you to choose settings, and let you know how big the file will be. Change the name as you save it anyway ... JPEG is a "lossy" compression, and you can't get quality back (though if you have it on a CD you will be OK).

hung
22-08-2002, 06:02 PM
if you've got photoshop you can 1)go FILE->SAVE FOR THE WEB or 2)you can go up to IMAGE and click on IMAGE SIZE and play with the settings. Remember to click on "constrain proportions" (at bottom of window) or the image will come out wonky.

Graham L
22-08-2002, 06:14 PM
And now I do know how Photoshop lets you set the compression. (I wuz right ;-) ) .Have a look at JPEG & Photoshop (http://www.dummies.com/Technology/Software/Photoshop/0-7645-0704-4_0001.html) for some hints. (Try "medium").