PDA

View Full Version : Changing boot sequence on Dell Laptop

jcr01
22-08-2002, 11:56 AM
I have a Dell Latitude CPi 266XT and I want to load Libranet Linux on it. I have to change the boot sequence, but when I go into the Bios to do this I can't alter the appropriate fields. I have done this lots of times before with desktops. I highlight the field and press the key that I'm prompted to press, but nothing happens! Can someone assist please.

Graham L
22-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Is there an administrator password on the BIOS?

But I am guessing that you want to change the boot order so that you can boot from an installation CD, so here's the workaround. If the order is floppy/hd/cdrom, you can install Linux by booting from a floppy.

You will probably have a directory called "images" of something similar on the CD. This wil have one or two 1.4MB floppy disk images. There will also be a directory called "dosutils", which will have the programme "rawrite.exe" which will make the floppies from the image files. Use good floppies --- they must be perfect. When you have the floppies, boot from the first one, and follow the instructions. It will ask for any drivers it needs and then do the installation from the CD. (If you get "Error 9" while booting from a floppy, the floppy is faulty. Make another and try again).

ctonks
22-08-2002, 03:47 PM
I have debian (which is what libranet is based on) running on a latitude CPi.

Unfortunately I dont have it in front of me and I cant remember how to adjust the boot sequence (i always set cd first).

If you do install linux on it you might not be totally happy (the sound on my one wont go above 8 bit - still it lets me listen to mp3's and works with some games).

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2002, 04:23 PM
You usually press Enter to get up a sub-menu, or pressing Page Down (PGE DWN) will change other items, not sure about your specific laptop however

Chilling_Silence