PDA

View Full Version : The teddybear virus

Liam
22-08-2002, 06:52 AM
Well, some hours later, I now realise I've been 'hoaxed' - my first experience. Www.trendmicro.com has a long list of hoax viruses. Hopefully, the file I deleted isn't too important, as MS Products don't seem to offer a replacement.
Liam.

Iris
22-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Received an e-mail last year to say someone thought they might have infected the computer with this virus. At the time I had PCillin running. Panicked and deleted the file as per instructions. I had Big Fix installed and that started beeping at me straight away to say I had deleted a file that could be important and directed me on how to get it back.

Just recently I had a similar experience and found the page from MS that explains it is a hoax and sent that page to the sender of my e-mail. Was a bit concerned as I run PCillin and AVG and thought they had let me down and then remembered the Teddybear.

It doesn't sound as though it matters if you delete the file, but it certainly is a problem that some people have nothing better to do with their time than play silly people with viruses.

Iris

Mike
22-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Liam and Iris,

Here's a bit of advice for you both (and any others who are fooled by these hoaxes). If you ever receive and email telling you that you might have a virus, delete it. If you've got an antivirus program like Norton's Antivirus, AVG, McAfee, PCCillin etc. running, and you keep it up to date, then you will be protected against any viruses.

Look at it this way:
If someone has had time to find out information about this so-called "virus" and there's already been information provided about this virus somewhere on the net or elsewhere you can be almost certain that the big antivirus software companies have already released an update to counter the virus, or at least warn you of it if it discovers it (usually if they haven't found how to fix it the program will pick it up and quarantine it until it can be fixed). You will never hear of a virus before the antivirus companies do.

Now if you receive an email from someone you trust that has not been forwarded, but has been written by them, saying that they have a virus and just thought they should warn you, go to somewhere like Norton's Security Response and search for the virus that is mentioned and it'll tell you there either if it's a hoax, or how to fix it if it actually is a virus (although your antivirus software should already have picked it up in that case, unless it hasn't been updated). A basic rule of thumb is ignore email virus warnings.

I hope all this makes sense :D

Mike.

Mike
22-08-2002, 08:25 AM
I should probably add, when you search for a virus on that Norton's Security Response site, you don't need the exact name of the virus, just give some small description of what it does or what is said in the email and it should find a few viruses for you to look through. It describes all of them in detail (including the hoaxes) so any info you give should help it narrow it down.

Mike.

honeylaser
22-08-2002, 08:52 AM
I assume you are talking about This One (http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.htm)?

You can download the new component here (http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm).

"... JDBGMGR.EXE [is] a Java Debug Manager program used by the Microsoft Java runtime engine. It is included as part of a standard Windows installation, is not a virus, and should not be deleted. JDBGMGR.EXE isn't a necessary part of the Windows operating system and will not cause the system to fail if it is accidentally deleted, although some Java applets may not function properly without it. "

"Windows 2000 and Windows ME include a Windows File Protection (WFP) feature that will recover shared files such as JDBGMGR.EXE if they are overwritten or deleted. Users of other Windows operating systems can retrieve JDBGMGR.EXE by reinstalling the Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) component. "

Chris Wilson
22-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Peoples,
A sad fact is that the most prolific and often uncounted virus on the entire internet is (and probably always will be) COMPULSIVE MESSAGE FORWARDING.

When you think about it, CMF, in it's many variants, often deletes or alters your programmes, and is spread by you and your computer. It deletes or alters programmes as it reproduces itself.

Because of human intervention, it is even translated, and adapted by the well meaning.

CMF also makes email addresses available to spammers. How many times have you recieved forwarded, forwarded, forwarded, forwarded, email with a supposedly funny looking picture or something, and noted 200 email addresses. Spammers also note these addresses.

A perfect virus

dipstick01
22-08-2002, 12:45 PM
Please forward this post to your friends within 2 days

honeylaser
22-08-2002, 01:05 PM
> Please forward this post to your friends within 2
> days

Ooh.. is that so Bill Gates will give me $10 for every person I send it to? Or will I get a voucher for a free frappuchino from StarBucks?

*groan*

dipstick01
22-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Even better still honey, if you have a bank account that we can use to smuggle our billion$ of dollars out of our country with then perhaps we could meet in a mutually suitable country to discuss an arrangement that will be to our mutual benefit. This is not for me you understand but for the benefit of Prince insert name here of Nigeria and his poor deceased father who left all this money just sitting around. Of course we will give you millions for doing something we could do ourselves with a simple phone call or online transaction however we feel soooooo generous we just have to give our money away

honeylaser
22-08-2002, 01:41 PM
> Even better still honey, if you have a bank account
> that we can use to smuggle our billion$ of dollars
> out of our country with then perhaps we could meet in
> a mutually suitable country to discuss an arrangement
> that will be to our mutual benefit. This is not for
> me you understand but for the benefit of Prince
> insert name here of Nigeria and his poor
> deceased father who left all this money just sitting
> around. Of course we will give you millions for doing
> something we could do ourselves with a simple phone
> call or online transaction however we feel soooooo
> generous we just have to give our money away

shhh.. that was confidential! those pooor poooooooor scammers.

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Hey, If u did it, Like my boss did, I decided to make a website about fixing it:
www.geocities.com/rescuemannz/Bear.html
I've got the file uploaded there also!!!

Chilling_Silence