PDA

View Full Version : Apostrophe and Quotation - Windows XP

-=JM=-
22-08-2002, 12:06 AM
I've just recently installed Windows XP Pro.

Now I've got a problem where the quote and apostrophe key isn't working tomorrow. When I use it does nothing, if I press it again i get two of them. If I press it once then press another key I get the charachter followed by the letter.

Also if I go apostrophe + e I then get a é.

Must be some language setting some where but where is it.

-=JM=-
22-08-2002, 01:03 AM
No need now people. Just dug out Mike's excellent help over here (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=19465&q=apostrophe#48047). ;)

Mike
22-08-2002, 01:18 AM
> No need now people. Just dug out Mike's excellent
> help over
> here (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=19
> 65&q=apostrophe#48047). ;)

Glad to have been of service :D

Mike.

Graham Petrie
22-08-2002, 01:43 PM
> Now I've got a problem where the quote and apostrophe
> key isn't working tomorrow.

I didn't know you could see into the future :D

G P

Graham L
22-08-2002, 02:50 PM
In your acute distress you made a grave error. When they are being used as diacretal marks, they are not apostrophe and quote. :D

-=JM=-
22-08-2002, 06:12 PM
> > Now I've got a problem where the quote and
> apostrophe
> > key isn't working tomorrow.
>
> I didn't know you could see into the future :D
>
> G P

that's what happens when some other application jumps and steals the focus away from PressF1.

-=JM=-
22-08-2002, 06:15 PM
> In your acute distress you made a grave
> error. When they are being used as diacretal
> marks, they are not apostrophe and
> quote. :D

I saw you mentioned that in one of the posts I was reading last night.

So what exactly are these diacretal marks. Because as far as I'm aware I used the correct terms in my post.

Must be the useless education system.

godfather
22-08-2002, 06:44 PM
diacretal??

Try diaeresis....

Graham L
23-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Mea culpa! :_| diacritical . Otherwise known as accent marks. Hoist by my own pedantry (not petard, which is an explosive device).

However, godfather, diaeresis as in Noėl indicates separate syllables; the identical umlaut symbol, as in fräulein changes the sound to "oy" rather than the "ow" sound in frau.

Alan Carpenter
23-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi Graham.

<pedantry>
petard, which is an explosive device
Methinks a device for launching explosives, rather than...

In 65536 words or less, explain why you prefer the German word
Umlaut to the English word dięresis, or why you distinguish between them. :D
</pedantry>

If only I were sober, boy would I present a logical, reasonable and well though out point of view.

Note to self; argument weak here. YELL LIKE HELL!

Cheers,
Alan

-=JM=-
23-08-2002, 11:44 PM
I was still correct in my post though because I only ever referred to the apostrophe/quote key. Not to the marks above the letters.

Graham L
24-08-2002, 02:32 PM
J.M., it was a double pun:O. The "quote" (`) character when used with your settings actually gave the "grave" mark over the following letter when your system were set for "dead key". Similarly for "apostrophe/acute. [Yes, I know that one should never, ever explain a pun]:_|

A petard is/was an explosive device. It was what was placed in a mine, which was a tunnel dug towards, then under the enemy wall. After lighting the blue touch paper, one was supposed to retreat in an orderly manner to a safe distance. Unfortunately, the rate of fuse burning was often not very "controlled" and many unfortunate individuals were "hoist by their own petard". (hoist does/did not mean "lifted with a rope" ; it means, roughly, "elevated in an rapid manner". This was often fatal. :-(

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 03:07 PM
So would this be a way to get the "a" with 2 dots over it that used so often in maori?

Graham L
24-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Alan: I distinguish between diaeresis and umlaut because the same mark is used for different things in two different languages. boom, boom .]:)

Chris: The "two dots" (umlaut mark) used to mark lengthened vowels in Maori is actually wrong: you should use the macron , which is a bar over the letter. But the umlaut mark is often used, and is understood.
I see that there is a ban on using the macron/umlaut in Maori in submissions to Royal Commissions, because the fonts aren't commonly available.

You can get a free font containing the macron characters (http://www.kennett.co.nz/maorilaw/macron.htm) here.

John H
24-08-2002, 03:53 PM
The diaresis, (or umlaut!), is only used over long vowels in Mäori because these benighted PeeCee boxes don't have the macron font that should be used to denote a long vowel. In some quarters the practice is to type the vowel twice to denote length - e.g. waananga - instead of using the macron.

I understand some people are offended by the use of the diaresis and consider it lazy to write kupu Mäori that way.

I prepare a lot of documents that have Te Reo Mäori words in them, and use the diaresis. The recipient that publishes them has set up their software to automatically change those vowels into the macron font. Sweet, because most of the current systems to put the macron in involve several keystrokes. We need a Mäori keyboard as an option here... Or a "macron" key that could be pressed at the same time as the vowel, like the shift key.

To type the ä (and other long vowels) I use the "Insert symbol" command in Word. Gradually I have built up a reasonable vocab of these words in my Mäori spell checker so that I can just type them "straight", and then the spell checker picks them up and changes them. How lazy is that?

John (sorry for getting off post...)

John H
24-08-2002, 03:55 PM
Apologies to the pedants for the misspelling of "diaeresis" in my previous post... I tend not to use the term...

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 04:05 PM
I shall send this thread of to my better ½, she being ¼ mäori, finds herself representing a mäori perspective for many organizations, and the non availability of the " ä " character has been a thorn in her side.

What a wonderful lesson to start the day with!

John H
24-08-2002, 04:40 PM
I see you are in ChaCha Chris. If your better half is here too and wants to talk it through (I have a Word dictionary she may like, and a number of web addresses for macron fonts) she may like to make contact with me.

You/she could use the email address hopskinny@yahoo.com (an email address I only use for "public" purposes...).

John

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 04:43 PM
John H,
She is Grey-Mouth based, but comes over from time to time
E-mail me, on my disposable address pugwash@ihug.co.nz and i shall connect you

Graham L
24-08-2002, 04:46 PM
"a thorn in her side"... the thorn character is this one: ž. What a bother --- a bit of fun is useful to someone. ;-)

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 04:47 PM
John,
I should never type anything here while on the phone.. please ignore my last post, i'll email you..

Chris Wilson
24-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Has anyone else noted that this topic is CHCH people talking amount ourselves? God and Mike are the only ones i'm not sure of!

John H
24-08-2002, 05:10 PM
I think God is from ChCh - isn't he also the Chairperson of ECan? Sorry, bad joke.

I think the rest of us are just the erudite people around here. Modest, too.

Mike
24-08-2002, 08:21 PM
I'm definitely NOT from Chch, and proud of it :D

Mike.

Graham L
25-08-2002, 02:59 PM
So is Christchurch :D

No, not really, you may immigrate any time you choose. There are some who would be stopped at the border, though.

godfather
25-08-2002, 03:30 PM
> God and Mike are the only
> ones i'm not sure of!

Close (to CHCH), but no cigar...
(as Monica said to Bill)