PDA

View Full Version : winxp boot problem

wotz
21-08-2002, 10:41 PM
I have been helping a friend with a PC Company machine with Winxp Home. I added a partition using partition magic 7. Windows is on NFTS, I added a fat32. During this process I got a message about improper dismount, can't remember the rest.

When restarting now there s a disk boot error. I put in the PC System restore disk and got to a screen where I had to put in admin password, which I didn't know. 3 times and I'm out. It then restarts normally, but with option for cd boot first (which I had to do to boot restore cd).

I thought, OK this is fixed. Took CD out and restarted. same problem grrrrrrrrr

went thru the procedure again with the restore cd. I then decided to restart, but leave the CD in. It worked. Don't want to do this every time (leave cd in). Where should I look to fix it?

Sam H
21-08-2002, 11:30 PM
>Where should I look to fix it?

If it is still under warranty then ring up the PC Company help line or e-mail tech support. If you can stand taking it in to the shop and letting them bugger around with it for a couple of weeks or more then do so.

Regards
Sam

Sam H
21-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Also a quick search of google showed up the following, I don't think it's what you are looking for but it may be worth a read.

Disk Boot Error (http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,139+24350+17349,00.html)

wotz
22-08-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the comedy Sam :) That will be one of the last option

Mike
22-08-2002, 09:10 AM
> If it is still under warranty then ring up the PC
> Company help line or e-mail tech support. If you can
> stand taking it in to the shop and letting them
> bugger around with it for a couple of weeks or more
> then do so.

I think you'll find that, unless the PC Company installed Partition Magic on the system when they sold it, they probably won't cover what you've done under warranty, as it is a user created problem using software that wasn't supplied by them.

Mike.

J ZEP
22-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi Wotz correct me if i am reading your post wrong - but are you at the stage where the prob is fixed if you use the the recovery cd to boot from?? But you don't know how to stop it from booting off the cd instead of the hd?? If this is the case i may have the solution, as i have just been through this kind of thing fixing a friends p.c e.g he couldn't get it to boot off the hard drive anymore, only the disc after using the disc. But if the problem is still there i am afraid i can't be of any help, by the way the system i fixed was also a pc co one. So if that is the case post back and i will let you in on the details, however i am sure you are quite capapble of doing this as i have seen your posts - so i am probably misreading things, if so sorry!!!

wotz
23-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Hi

I'm not sure exactly what it is up to as it was getting late and I had to leave. It wouldn't boot of hdd so I put in restore disk and went for repair option. It needed an administrator password, which PC co says we must have put in, but I don't remember doing so on 1st boot. After 3 attempts at the password it shut down. It would then boot off hdd if the restore disk was in (our last try) but not if the restore disk was taken out.

PeebZ
23-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Umm, you may like to Remind the PC Company that the Adim Password is set during the Install on Win XP, not an after though of "I think I may set a password". This is a mandatory step to be done in the install.

Jess

J ZEP
23-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Hi Wotz, if that is indeed the case and it will boot with the recovery disc in but not off the hd - then it sounds like you need to change the setting back in bios like we had to (it somehow changed to always boot of disc!). As we could get our friends booting, but only off recovery disc too, but as soon as we checked in bios and changed it back, it was sweet - actually i think it was Sam that gave these instructions to me - anyway:
When the computer is booting up it should say which button to press, it's normally esc or delete. Press it when the computer is booting up to get into the bios. I think you should find what you are looking for under booting procedure or something similar like that.
All the instructions on navigating in through the bios should be on the bottom of the screen, just remember if you think you changed something you shouldn't of then exit without saving and try again.

Forgot to mention you can press the pause button on the keyboard to pause the boot up if you are finding it hard because it goes to fast to read which button to press.

When i went into the bios settings it was obvious why it was not working...it gives you four options on booting up...depending on what option is set as the first set up ...which was boot from atpi cd..i changed it to boot from the hard drive and sweet as...

I hope that is all you need to do too Wotz!!! Hope that helps! :-)
Sorry if it isn't what you were after and you knew how to do this!!