PDA

View Full Version : config.msi what is it?

videoguy
21-08-2002, 10:23 PM
I have a folder called config.msi in my c: root directory
does anyone know wht it is for it has a heap of .rbf files in it
TIA

BarryMcQ
21-08-2002, 10:32 PM
I found this tidbit in google, hope it explains it :-)

Q. I have a mysterious folder called config.msi that now holds nearly 78 megabytes of files. These files all end with the .rbf extension. What are they, and can the contents of this folder be safely deleted?

A. Microsoft's developers, in their infinite wisdom and generosity, created this folder and these files on your system to allow you to back out of an upgrade to Office 2000. In the event that you experience problems with your installation, these files allow you to uninstall Office 2000 and go back to your previous version of Office.

If you are confident that your Office program is working properly, you can delete this folder and all the contents.

I would suggest that you may just want to rename the folder to config.msi.old and see how things go for a week or so. If all is well, go in and reclaim that disk space.

videoguy
21-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Thanks
I did look in google b4 I posted here but drew a blank
Ok I will delete the directory

Bryan

BarryMcQ
22-08-2002, 12:12 AM
I'd just change its name for a while first ;-)

Just in case.

Wolftiger
16-06-2006, 04:46 AM
The place that I work is having a problem with one of its servers. It's this C:\config.Msi file/folder. We try to backup this server that this item is on but the following error occurs
"Unable to find files C:\Config.Msi, error: (2-The system cannot find the file specified.)"

And we would appreciate any help on this situation. We use Ultrabac and we cannot find anything at the C: drive on that server but the pathway C:\Config.Msi cannot be found at all. Due we need to create the C:\Config.Msi just so that this error doesn't pop-up every single time.

If we cannot find it and the server cannot find it and the server seems to need to find it for some reason how can we solve this situation. Is it possibly hidden somehow from even our backup software.

Greg
16-06-2006, 05:44 AM
It'd be helpful if you supplied a bit more info - what is the server running etc.

The only reference I could find on Microsoft was here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910228/en-us).

Happy reading!

autechre
16-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I think just about any programs that use the Microsoft Installer (MSI), create this folder as a temporary extraction folder. Usually it's automatically cleaned up once the app is installed.

Sometimes you may need to reboot before the app will finish whatever it's using in the folder.

Here's a link (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=RBS) that explains what the files are. Check the Rollback Script section.

Graham L
16-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Wolftiger:

Welcome to PressF1.

It looks as if the backup process has found the directory while doing a scan to find files to backup, but by the time the actual backup starts the directory has been removed. If it happens every time you try to backup, it looks as if it remembers. ;)

The backup programme may have a configuration file which could be edited to remove any reference to config.msi. I'd look for that.

It's odd that it doesn't just report the directory missing and carry on regardless. That would be a much more appropriate behaviour for a backup programme. :( Backups are important. What can be backed up should be.

pycy199
24-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I have got facing same problem with you.I'm trying to reply to find the exact answer for the question below!

I have a folder called config.msi in my c: root directory
does anyone know wht it is for it has a heap of .rbf files in it

pycy199
24-03-2008, 10:18 PM
So many things can be happen when someone lack of knowledge and skill about
computer.I didn't mean you but the webmaster don't simply trapped others for
their benefits.
"I have a folder called config.msi in my c: root directory
does anyone know wht it is for it has a heap of .rbf files in it"

LiquidSolidity
24-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Not sure what you are trying to ask? I think the question has been answered above...

pycy199
21-04-2008, 05:30 PM
config.msi what is it?how to take off forever

I found this tidbit in google, hope it explains it :-)

Q. I have a mysterious folder called config.msi that now holds nearly 78 megabytes of files. These files all end with the .rbf extension. What are they, and can the contents of this folder be safely deleted?

A. Microsoft's developers, in their infinite wisdom and generosity, created this folder and these files on your system to allow you to back out of an upgrade to Office 2000. In the event that you experience problems with your installation, these files allow you to uninstall Office 2000 and go back to your previous version of Office.

If you are confident that your Office program is working properly, you can delete this folder and all the contents.

I would suggest that you may just want to rename the folder to config.msi.old and see how things go for a week or so. If all is well, go in and reclaim that disk space.

pycy199
21-04-2008, 05:36 PM
config.msi what is it?how to take off forever,the pc can't off

Tony Biagioli
27-05-2008, 05:34 PM
The short answer: Don't touch it.

That's just in case someone wound up here because they were bored while their computer was doing a long, slow update for some of their software. If an update is running, this folder is created and populated with one or more .RBS (roll back script) or .RBF (roll back file) files. These are necessary to reestablish the original state of your computer should the update fail. If you delete them, this recovery option is not possible.

If this is not the case, i.e., you have no update running, you still do not need to delete it. This folder will be deleted after the next update is performed, so you are safe to leave it.

If it bothers you to see it in your root directory, find the place where the "Show hidden files" box is checked and uncheck it. (I don't remember where this is, since I only did it once, long ago.) Then you won't see it anymore.

If none of the above suit you, it is possible that some past update got confused and didn't delete the folder when it was done. Go ahead, delete it. It's doing no good and no harm. (But are you sure?)