PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Problems

shackonline
21-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Recently whenever I click on a mailto: link in an email in Outlook Express or on a web page I receive the message " Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed" and when I click OK on this message about 30 browser windows appear with the mailto link in the address bar.

I have tried going through Tools>Options - General Tab in IE, where I have no email client set....but I do not have any options in the drop down at all.

I am using IE 5.5, Outlook Express 5.5, and Windows ME. If anyone can help me solve this problem then that would be great!

Regards,
Phil

Jen C
21-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi

Check out this link at Microsoft knowledge base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q182985&) for the information you need.

Jen

Jen C
21-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi again, paying more attention to your post this time I see that your OS is WinME. The link above doesn't mention OE5 and ME so may or may not be helpful :-(

Have you considered updating to OE and IE version 6? This could solve your problem.

Jen

Antonia
22-08-2002, 01:57 AM
Look for "default internet programs" in the IE 5.5 Helpfile index.

Instructions should be there.

Antonia

Antonia
22-08-2002, 02:32 AM
Hi again !

The following is from the Outlook Express Helpfile:

To use Outlook Express from your Web browser
You can set Outlook Express to be your default e-mail program, so that whenever you click an e-mail link on a Web page or choose the mail command in your Web browser or newsreader, Outlook Express opens.

Likewise, you can set Outlook Express to be your default newsreader, so that when you click a newsgroup link on a Web page or choose the newsreader command in your Web browser, Outlook Express opens.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.

In the Default Messaging Programs area, click Make Default for news or mail.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Default Messaging Program is rigth at the bottom of the page.
It should state :This is your default e-mail client. Else there is an option to make it the default e-mail client.

Good luck, Antonia