PDA

View Full Version : Virus alert

Liam
21-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Following a warning from an email contact who had been infected, I found avirus called jdbgmgr.exe, with its teddybear icon, in a file on my C-drive. I deleted this, and deleted it again in the Recycle Bin. I have Norton Systems Works 2002, regularly updated, and my system swept. The contact said that Nortondoes not detect this virus, and my Address book should be checked also. I have Eudora, and did a full av check, which detected no virus. Should anything else be done to make sure my Address Book is clean? And what is Norton doing about this virus?
Liam.

Chris Wilson
21-08-2002, 04:57 PM
haven't we seen this one? I seem to remember the teddy bear icon file actualy having a legit function, and getting muched by an urban antivirus myth?

correct me if i'm wrong

mark c
21-08-2002, 05:01 PM
It's a hoax. I know, I fell for it. The file is actually a Javascript Debugger. Stick the file name or "teddy bear icon" or "teddy bear hoax" into the search here at Pressf1 and read all about it and get links to restoring your file.

Advice from a long term newbie: Someone emails you something like this ask about it here or go to Symantec or other virus/hoax reporting sites and check it out before you take any action.

Chris Wilson
21-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Liam,

see Here (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html)
..........you just deleted a java debugger

antmannz
21-08-2002, 05:03 PM
You're right Chris; I think it's the Java debug manager.

See more here. (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html)

antmannz
21-08-2002, 05:04 PM
SNAP :D

Graham L
21-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Good thinking Chris. I seems that it is part of Java. And there is a HOAX. Liam, use the search button at the top of the page. Enter "jdbgmgr.exe" (without the quotes), and start the serach. The first response you get (if its not this one) will tell you the stroy. Furher down there is a thread "How do I restore jdbgmgr.exe " to help you use Java again. ;-)

Baldy
21-08-2002, 05:54 PM
I treat ALL virus alerts I get by emails initially as hoax's.

I always search on Google, then report back to persom who sent me the initiall virus warning. There seems to be a few of them about at the moment................

BALDY :-)

Graham L
21-08-2002, 06:06 PM
This must be a record. 6 answers in 13 minutes, full agreement, no recomendation to load the lastest drivers, or change to another OS, or browser. Ain't we goood?

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2002, 04:18 PM
www.geocities.com/rescuemannz/Bear.html to fix it!!! My boss got it and deleted it too (Typical Females!)

Chilling_Silence

J ZEP
22-08-2002, 06:13 PM
> My boss got it and deleted it too (Typical Females!)
>
Say what??!!!! - what is the possible sex of this poster then??:p
Just as many men fall for it too!!;-)

Dragonslayer
22-08-2002, 08:31 PM
I think Chilling_Silence is right, women and PC's don't mix, im sure its a logic thing. (wonder how many "replies" this will get) :)

Chris Wilson
22-08-2002, 08:52 PM
i'll just run this past my friend Erin who helped me rebuild her family buisenusses computer network just a couple of months ago.. just to see what she says........
Yes i'm a bloke, yes it's a male dominated area, but there are exceptions, and heaps of chicks who could run rings around me!

J ZEP
22-08-2002, 09:36 PM
> Yes i'm a bloke, yes it's a male dominated area, but
> there are exceptions, and heaps of chicks who could
> run rings around me!

Well said Chris!! :D - sorry guys i just couldn't resist a statement like that, it is a very general assumption, sad to say, that is not always right, have a friend who is an extrememely intelligent engineer, but has no ideas on the basics of his system, even though he likes to pretend he does - hence causing himself major probs through tinkering!!!

>>>>4I think Chilling_Silence is right, women and PC's don't mix, im sure its a logic thing. (wonder how many "replies" this will get)
Well i think women think much more logically in regard to sussing out things and i have proved it before too!

Look i have still got heaps to learn myself yet, so i am not bragging about my skills, but as Chris said i have seen heaps of Erins posts and she is extrememly computer literate, susan b too, and a lot of others, and i bet some of them could run rings around a good percentage of you!!

Its just comments like that don't do much for peoples confidence - encourage females to learn instead of just saying - oh thats a typical female thing, just because one female does it shouldn't mean we all get lumped in that group!!! LOL - Rave over for the night :p
Its just there aren't alot of regular female patrons left here of late and i would hate to dissuade them with comments like that!!
By the way i am not a womens rights campainer or anything - ha ha
Just couldn't resist biting at a comment like that - on behalf of all other female puter users and forum users!!! ;-)

Dragonslayer
22-08-2002, 10:23 PM
What?
Next thing you'll be telling me is that women can fish and play golf!
:)

Chris Wilson
22-08-2002, 11:00 PM
yeah, but show me a chick who would actually want to?

J ZEP
22-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Hey D.S, don't forget about us riding nice big motorcycles too! ;-) :-) (sorry i couldn't resist!) :D LOL ;\ and as for golf - personally not my forte, but i can fish - don't like it though! :-)

Heather P
22-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Women can do anything. The trick is to learn ways not to do everything!

This is why women are totally incapable of:
- lighting and operating the bbq (what? miss an excuse to avoid cooking?)
- changing lightbulbs (you honestly expect ME to climb a ladder?)
- mow the lawns (why lose hours on the computer?)
- change tyres (OK, maybe if I'm in a hurry)
- burning the rubbish (do this and you're on the path to doing everything!)

Jen C
22-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Sorry, but I cannot resist:

Q: How do you keep your husband from reading your e-mails?

A: Rename the mail folder to "instruction manuals"

:D Jen

Chris Wilson
22-08-2002, 11:25 PM
my better
--wont lite the BBQ, being vegetarian, she wouldn't would she..
--she changes her own light bulbs
-- mows the lawns, unless i'm there (she works, and lives on the otherside of the island from where i am based)
-- tyres end up my dept, allthough she certainly could(me = spanners & screwdrivers dept)
-- burns her own rubbish (you got to keep warm somehow on the wet coast)
AND
---updates her own virus protection, infact can get info on viri or puter probs faster than me dispite me being on cable, and her on dial up
ICQ conversations go

Chris: blah
Dyan: blah, link,
Dyan: link
Dyan: another link

bloody fast typers!

J ZEP
23-08-2002, 12:12 AM
There we have it = Heather & Jen are onto it, and who said females can't do things???? we just choose carefully!! -- Ha ha i knew they wouldn't get away with it girls!!! - there had to be some comeback for those kind of unspeakable comments eh!!! :D Chris your a lucky man! - see chris knows what we mean ;-)

Dragonslayer
23-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Here it is for all you GALS and S.N.A.G's!

We always hear "the rules" from the female side. Now here
are the rules from the male side. These are our rules!
Please note ... these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us bitching about you
leaving it down.

1. Birthdays, Valentines, and Anniversaries are not contest to see if we can find the perfect present yet again!

1. Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it.

1. Sunday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to think of it that
way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: Subtle hints do not
work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work!Just say it!

1. We don't remember dates. Mark birthdays and anniversaries on a calendar. Remind us frequently beforehand.

1. Most guys own three pairs of shoes - tops. What makes you think we'd be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look
good with your dress?

1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

1.Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what
we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that last for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Check your oil! Please.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact,
all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't
expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We
refuse to answer.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

1. Let us ogle. We are going to look anyway; it's genetic.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done.
Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during
commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither do we.

1. The relationship is never going to be like it was the first two months
we were going out. Get over it. And quit whining to your girlfriends.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach,
for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

Chris Wilson
23-08-2002, 01:39 AM
I am so glad that most of the people i know don't fall into the stereotype of the last post, on some points yes, on some points no.

Dragonslayer... now i [b]Know/b] yer just stirring.....