PDA

View Full Version : high speed internet question advice.

E.ric
21-08-2002, 08:03 AM
On my web site I describe how to convert a TV from UK sound to NZ sound, This gets me a bit of E-mail from time to time from people coming to NZ and reply with honest opinion on the state of "free to air TV stations", a reply has just came back please read on.

Hi Eric,

After advice from yourself (and having seen the TV schedules), i have
decided to gut my television and turn it into a Goldfish bowl.

However, the next area of interest is the internet. I need to get the
quickest damn connection to the internet i can over there as i will be
using it to trade commodities in Europe from NZ. What's involved / what
should i get (you sound like a man who would know)? Is it pricey?

Cheers
Ashley

Peter Coleman
21-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Hi E.ric,I'd say,really, the fastest and cheapest high speed connection has to be Jetstream(either the 128K for the cheap version,or the full speed version,a little pricey but very fast).There are other options,but none as effective as this,I don't think.

Peter

E.ric
22-08-2002, 06:53 AM
Thanks Peter I was beginning to think visitor that went to f1 did not have Jet-stream or similar, I find hard to belive.

And was thinking of replying to the person coming to N Z in my own sarcastic humor.

CYaBro
22-08-2002, 09:59 AM
I have Jetstream too! It is a bit more expensive but worth it! I have had Ihug's Ultra but had so many problems with it, especially when it was overcast or raining.

godfather
22-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Jetstream 5000 (Jetstart) is around 4 times faster than dial-up.
When I was looking for info to make a decision I couldn't find the "actual" speed anywhere, but since installing it the benefits are apparent.

Its about $65 month, and even with moderate use I only make about 1 Gb of data, so will never reach 5 Gb. I dont download music or do P2P.

-=JM=-
22-08-2002, 05:55 PM
With the Jetstream Starter 5000 thing from Xtra it is 5000MB of international. The national traffic is free.

godfather
22-08-2002, 06:17 PM
But they dont tell how much of the traffic is international, just says the total traffic.

Unless the reported traffic is ONLY international, but that seems too much

wuppo
22-08-2002, 10:06 PM
GF - if you think all your international traffic is intentionally accessed by you, download this little beauty: TCPview (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml). Your PC is talking to allsorts without your knowledge. ;)

godfather
22-08-2002, 10:10 PM
eeeekkkkk!!!

Thats a little ripper!

-=JM=-
22-08-2002, 10:35 PM
godfather I don't have JetStart but I do know people that do have it with Xtra and they can check their usage online.

There are two sites, the one you go to and another which splits it into local and international.