PDA

View Full Version : CGI Script

Graham Petrie
21-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi, I am fairly new to the world of web authoring, but have a good grasp of HTML and I have just started playing with DHTML (So far I have just downloaded other peoples stuff, and worked out hoe to use it - no script writing of my own yet).

I wanted to have a members area on my website. From what I can tell, using a CGI Perl Script is the bizzo, and I have downloaded one that looks good at first glance. I am not exactly sure how these work, but from what I can guess, Perl is a programming language which the script is written in. The script is placed on the server, and when accessed by a client, the server does the processing work to process the script.

Anyway, as far as I can determine, my free orcon account doesn't support this? Could someone else using a free orcon hosting account please confirm this?

Secondly, what are the chances that I could find a free hosting service that would?

Also, any advice on using scripts, or any comments that people ave for a beginner would be more than welcome.

This is your chance to pass on all that useful knowledge with no criteria attached. (Although please try and answer my question first).

Thanks everyone

G P

robsonde
21-08-2002, 12:28 AM
i dont know much about cgi scripts but i do know that ALL web servers people are very tight about what scripts you can use because of security problems with badly writen scripts.

even someone like IHUG will not let a script on to there server with out it getting checked by a staff member.

SoniKalien
21-08-2002, 12:43 AM
OK, since you asked nicely, I will share what I know with you. :D (I'm in a so-so mood 2nite)

>Anyway, as far as I can determine, my free orcon account doesn't support this? Could someone else using a free orcon hosting account please confirm this?

Yes, that is correct. Orcon state it somewhere in their pages. Even Frontpage extensions (sick) are not supported.

>Secondly, what are the chances that I could find a free hosting service that would?

Not good. Apart from the fact that the server would have to have special software (that cost $) installed on it, 'Public domain' servers generally deny scripting for security reasons.

Having said that, I have heard that the UK version of Tripod (ad supported) do support CGI. Geocities used to but took it down for security reasons.

>Also, any advice on using scripts, or any comments that people have for a beginner would be more than welcome.

Get good with HTML and CSS. You can go places using just those. Be careful with DHTML, but get good with it and you can go further. If you're keen, you can play around with XML... :D

SiK

BarryMcQ
21-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Hi Graham,

Orcon don't support this, at this time (I asked). If you have a permanent connection to your ISP you could look at running a linux server at your place (what? a webserver on a home account? not me I didn't suggest it!).
You could then use something like www.dns2go.org for name resolution.

Graham Petrie
21-08-2002, 12:52 AM
> OK, since you asked nicely, I will share what I know
> with you. :D (I'm in a so-so mood 2nite)

Why, have I ever not asked nicely?? Thanks for your help anyway - always appreciated.

> Get good with HTML and CSS. You can go places using
> just those. Be careful with DHTML, but get good with
> it and you can go further. If you're keen, you can
> play around with XML... :D

I have sussed out CSS and love it - so versatile!
HTML - no problems as it is pretty straightforward, and suits my mathemetical/logical mind.

DHTML - what should I watch out for? Pitfalls?
XML - that will be my next step. It seems very cool. Plus, it could come in handy as I will be involved with using alot of software that utilises LandXML to interface with the LINZ Landonline system for digital lodgement of survey plans and datasets.

Thanks re: the CGI stuff. Greg S's hostnz service was going to accept CGI, and password protected areas (so maybe negating the need for CGI). I have sent him an email, and will let you know what he says (unless you post it yourself Greg).

Thanks again.

G P

Graham Petrie
21-08-2002, 12:55 AM
LOL Barry, I have dial-up. If I had a spare 486 or PI and the required internet connection, I would do just that - more for the experience than anything else.

Oh well.

G P

nzStan
21-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Most web host will not allow CGI except their own 'certified' CGI scripts.

BUT.......

HAVE......

I......

GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!!!!!

Go to http://www.netfirms.com

Create a free account and you can run any CGI/PERL/PHP scripts you want. They don't have mySQL yet but was told that will happen soon.

The